Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Customer service - how not to do it

I'll look into them, I'm not familiar with that company.
    Anyway It's good to have the name out as it can sometimes be enough for them to change..unless their policy is clear on these things in their rules & regs...

They're clear about all warranty issues being handled by the manufacturer - but as already said, a unit that is DOA is not a warranty issue, it is goods that are not fit for purpose. I do not think it is acceptable to fob off all the responsibility and time to get this kind of thing sorted onto the customer.

Here's someone else who has hit up against this attitude problem -
    http://www.yell.com/biz/cousins-mate...mford-4075061/

Statutory rights not afffected it says.
    Who dares goes to the trouble of complaining wins.

Not sure how their business is doing either..........their shop shut very suddenly a few weeks ago in Birmingham JQ.......shame really, since the guys there were always incredibly friendly & helpful. Online / distance sales service always could be a bit 'limited', but go in and speak to these guys and any issue was sorted!! Shame really

Selling you something which doesn't work is a fundamental breach of the contract by them. You don't need any other legislation. It's common law basic stuff. It is a basic condition of any contract.
    Their business to business rigamarole is total nonsense.
    In actually going to the manufacturer for a resolution you are muddying the waters a bit. You would have a straightforward claim for the cost of the item and any further costs incurred by you against them, including court costs (and potentially lots of fun with bailiffs or sheriffs if they don't pay out a judgement) in the county court.
    The system is that C pays you out, or replaces the whatever and them returns it to the manufacturer - the clod who was so unhelpful clearly does not realise that the business doesn't actually lose anything and was being defensive.
    (I used to teach all this stuff)
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Selling you something which doesn't work is a fundamental breach of the contract by them. You don't need any other legislation. It's common law basic stuff. It is a basic condition of any contract.
    Their business to business rigamarole is total nonsense.
    Agreed.

In actually going to the manufacturer for a resolution you are muddying the waters a bit.
    I've not gone to the manufacturers, they have come to me as part of Cousins' fob-off. Cousins refuse point-blank to do anything else.

You would have a straightforward claim for the cost of the item and any further costs incurred by you against them, including court costs (and potentially lots of fun with bailiffs or sheriffs if they don't pay out a judgement) in the county court.
    The system is that C pays you out, or replaces the whatever and them returns it to the manufacturer - the clod who was so unhelpful clearly does not realise that the business doesn't actually lose anything and was being defensive.
    (I used to teach all this stuff)
    Clod isn't the word I was thinking - it wasn't so generous.

...And now they seem to think that ignoring me completely is the way to deal with the problem. Oh dear.
    Barclaycard weren't too impressed either.

Sorry to hear this. I've always had a great sales service from them - but then I haven't had any reason to return goods - yet. It is something to bear in mind. Have you tried escalating it to their management?

Their current M.D. is Anthony Cousins ... anthony@cousinsuk.com

I would hope the MD sorts things out pdq, if he doesn't, show how this thread might affect future sales and of course consider SCC.

I suggest you write a formal 'letter before action' to this Anthony Cousins at their legal address (which must by law be stated on their website) saying very briefly that you intend to start an action in the small claims court unless your problem is properly sorted out by them within seven days from receipt. send it recorded. Don't get into a long he said then I said, just keep it simple and short and don't enter a long dialogue with them (their delaying tactic)
    You have to send a formal LBA just to give them a final and formal chance to enter the 21st c in terms of reality
    Credit card companies keep records of this sort of thing because they don't like the hassle. Too many incidents like this and they lose their credit card handling.(and, let's be real, when a company starts acting really defensive, it can be a warning of bigger problems)
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Had loads of problems with them, one not being very helpful and two their returns policy which I'm sure is not legal, only a week or two ago I needed a small part for an Omega watch, it was a sealed part but I could see without even opening the packet that it was damaged, so I explained the problem they said you had to do it through the website, tried that but whatever reason you choose from their drop down menu it just says you are unable to return this item because .......... And then there are a load of feeble excuse to why it can't be returned and how their sales don't have to comply with distance selling regs etc.
    I just sent it back and told them to keep it as it was no good to me and that it was a shame how they treat their customers, couple of days later I received a refund.