Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diamond setter Berlin DVD advice

Thanks lauren, I think I might drop him a line and have a chat to see what he thinks.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

A little bit of feedback from having attended the Whitney School of Jewellery, taught by Guy Whitney.

This was my first effort in a square setting - I used a notch approach, which as I see a recent post has suggested this may not be the best (I have little experience of anything other than round or oval and cushion trillions - so this was really an exciting concept and approach for me) I got square corners and managed to work out so many aspects to this setting. It is all my design and some shared work on the setting, but I am very pleased with it.
    Attachment 4994

The claw setting was interesting, I have only stuck to regular shapes which have a guaranteed edge to work on to ensure it sits in a seat well. This central aquamarine stone has been sat goading me for a little while. I like this setting, the prongs are set through the metal. I don't have problems with flush or tube (even making a tube from round wire) and so added some finishing embellishments to the claw design. This was in the form of melee diamonds at the top of the prongs. It may have been better to go with a coloured one, but I didn't have any to hand in that size! lol

Attachment 4995

Would I go again? Definitely. I have learned so much from forums, books, practice and the like, but being tutored on a 1:2 ratio was fantastic. He can take it back to basics or go into advanced levels.

after the course.... I have managed to keep the information and apply it... and have more faith in different levels of designs hopefully.
    Attachment 4996

The square setting and groovy shank are pretty special Wallace.

Fab stuff Wallace. Just fab. I'm just going to come and have a lesson with you

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The square setting and groovy shank are pretty special Wallace.
    thank you Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Fab stuff Wallace. Just fab. I'm just going to come and have a lesson with you
    - Thank you my lovely, you know where I am x

That's really nice work

Wow Wallace!! Those are fab settings and I agree with Dennis the square setting and ring are something rather special!! Keep at it ;D

Quote Originally Posted by mikethejeweller View Post
    That's really nice work
    thank you Mike - I have learned so much since my Tony Tigg days.. still loads to go, but now I have time to do the practice as I am fully self employed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    Wow Wallace!! Those are fab settings and I agree with Dennis the square setting and ring are something rather special!! Keep at it ;D

thank you so much Jill, I did enjoy making these and have taken some older work to task and revisited how I have done their mounts. I liked that stippling effect and have used it a couple of times now, makes a difference to my highly polished finishes.