Thread: Metal clay noob question :)

Question Metal clay noob question :)

Hi,

So I haven't actually used PMC before but I have something in mind that I want to make with it but am trying to figure out if its a difficult thing and whether I should bother buying all the tools to do it or jus tleave it to the experts

so I want to make two circles about 1.25" in diameter and I want to "link" them similar to russian wedding rings but a bigger version.

Would I just roll the clay into "snakes" then join them with slip then fire them one at a time? Or do I make both rings, link them while they are in their clay form and then fire them? Will they stick together this way?

My only other theory was that I make two seperate rings, fire them then cut one and then solder it together. But thats sounds a bit stupid and i'm sure you can tell i have no idea what i'm doing lol

Any hellp would be greatly appreciated.

I'd use sterling for this but if I had to use clay, I'd make 2 separate rings and cut one, the same way I'd make Russian Wedding rings.

I'd fire one as a ring and then make the other ring through it and fire again. I wouldn't feel confident bending or soldering PMC because I've always found it very brittle.

To make interlocking rings out of clay is, to put it kindly, an eccentric idea. Learn to make rings from wire and you'll have the whole thing done in an hour maximum. You will also be on your way to conquering one aspect of jewellery making.

As already said, you make identical rings separately, cut one and open it sideways to retain the round shape, link it and re-solder. Dennis

thanks for all your suggestions. I have made interlocking rings with wire before but the type of rings I wanted to make are more as a pendant style and I was wanting to make some nice patterns and stamping in it with pmc. Thanks again for your suggestions I will try