Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving back....

Default Moving back....

So, we are considering moving back to the UK ..maybe around Windsor/Henley area. I've made a few calls & work sounds optimistic or at least there is good interest.
    Are we totally mad? We do seem to be stuck in a rut here in Finland & both places have pros & cons.
    I'd like your opinions...

I don't know how the big jewellery shops are faring Chris. I think things are a bit dodgy in the gallery world. Things have been fine for me but my customers are mostly online. My advice would be to get your website up and running as an e-commerce site.

I'm planning on sticking to a stone setting service rather than retailing anything, which I decided isn't my thing.

Not being funny Chris, but good stonesetters are like 'rocking horse.....', ..........as you would expect, like I am with my 'finished piece', you will be judged by the quality of your work....., I'd happily try you for setting work and very much recommend to colleagues if I was happy, in return, i'd expect you to identify your limitations (opals??), my poor setting set ups and thus reduce trashed work and broken stones.....a mutually beneficial working relationship??!!

I think you'll find plenty of work out there,....your intended location may reduce your availability for "aaagh I'm desparate" work...but that maybe to your advantage?!

Working with jewellery makers is important..I get a lot of work that while adequately neat, could have been better & more efficient to do with a few tweaks to "optimize" things.
    I've had hardened goldsmiths change their ways & they realised how much quicker & neater their work was completed.
    Small adjustments can make a world of difference which benefits all involved with efficiency, cost & result.
    Shame I can't get some work sent here despite the logistics being reasonable for not so urgent things...

Does that suggest that anyone working with stones in their jewellery should have learned basic stonesetting, even if they never intend to do it themselves?
    Actually, there's a course idea - goes with my design for manufacturing kick in other areas - teaching people to design pieces that can be set. You'd need some pieces that were a complete pig as well to compare & contrast.

Absolutely, even theoretical knowledge goes along way..also helps that I know goldsmithing & engraving theory ( reasonably well ) even if I never do it.
    No point making things that are problematic, sure some jobs can be tricky but trying to create a silk purse from a pigs ear is costly.
    A lot of work is made without taking all things into consideration or through lack of knowledge, which is why setting can be less than great & needlessly expensive timewise.
    If goldsmiths & setters actually worked together rather than be traditionally complaining about each others faults things would be a lot easier

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    Working with jewellery makers is important..I get a lot of work that while adequately neat, could have been better & more efficient to do with a few tweaks to "optimize" things.
    I've had hardened goldsmiths change their ways & they realised how much quicker & neater their work was completed.
    Small adjustments can make a world of difference which benefits all involved with efficiency, cost & result.
    Shame I can't get some work sent here despite the logistics being reasonable for not so urgent things...
    maybe some examples of how not to send stuff in verses how to prep something for setting? I have deliberately not looked to set stones in my work because I know I'd make a mess of it and I assume that getting something professionally set would be to expensive to be worthwhile, but if I knew I could make the setting an easier job and thus less expensive, then I'd be really interested in using stones more.

There is a fine line between good & bad work which is where theoretical knowledge comes in.
    A lot of the problem is wrong size stones..job is do-able but could have been a lot quicker/easier & therefore neater & cheaper. Also damage to stones is reduced...
    There will still be different standards of work but I believe that would be narrowed down with abit more "communication".

Example: a lot of manfacturers work I do now needs adjusting first eg: widening/deepening channels..some models have shrunk from original plan during casting..all these could save time with a change of stone size..(which they won't do):banghead:
    At least now with new models I'm asked my opinion which helps a lot.
    All these jobs have to be at a set price, so if I have to "waste time" altering them first, it cuts down on my alloted setting time..leads to adequate result rather than what could have been great...
    Or then the too small square rubover ruby that took half an hour to get neat, which could have been a 10 minute job..small things like this are all do-able but not optimized for efficiency.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 01-07-2013 at 10:54 AM.