Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving back....

Have you thought about doing some stone setting teaching Chris?

I recently had three days of one to one tuition with a lovely jeweller and stone setter and it was an absolutely game changer with how I now make stuff and set stones. I'm now confident setting simple stones, but anything more complicated than a tube set/rex/v-claw or the one where you set it into the metal that I've forgotten the name of I'd happily send out to be set. But knowing how to set properly (I just taught myself previously. Really badly) had made me think a lot more about the design of pieces.

Anyway, the reason I suggest it is that it took me forever to find someone that would teach me what I wanted to learn, rather than booking a stone setting course that was more prescribed. I found the ones offered tended to be either basic - making a rubover mount etc, or advanced - pave/channel setting, neither of which is what I was after. So, I ended up doing a three hour train journey and taking four days off work to get the tuition I was after. It was absolutely worth the time and money though, and he's booked up pretty solidly, so might be something to think about?

I'd agree with Lauren - I'd love the opportunity to do some ad hoc private tuition rather than take a defined course.

Yes I have thought of that & It's worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    Absolutely, even theoretical knowledge goes along way..also helps that I know goldsmithing & engraving theory ( reasonably well ) even if I never do it.
    No point making things that are problematic, sure some jobs can be tricky but trying to create a silk purse from a pigs ear is costly.
    A lot of work is made without taking all things into consideration or through lack of knowledge, which is why setting can be less than great & needlessly expensive timewise.
    If goldsmiths & setters actually worked together rather than be traditionally complaining about each others faults things would be a lot easier
    I guess that was my point exactly.....I have some theoretical knowledge and practical experience of setting stones.

However, what I also realise with the jewellery trade is you can become a jack of all trades and a master of none!! I enjoy and spend my time making pieces, model making and diamond setting skills,........mainly for bespoke, one off stones, this is what I wish to master and where I think my time is best spent.....(from both a business and personal perspective),........therefore, I think that I'm better paying a person who has mastered setting skills to set a stone well and in a fraction of the time I could. However, appreciating the stone-setters skills, I know I can learn from them and I expect the odd knock back of settings. NOT frequent Peter, (I hope!!), I have a good relationship with my setter and I ask if I think it's close and he advises if he thinks it's a no-go. Occassionally it's a tweak, sometimes it's a remake, often it's less than 0.1mm that makes all the difference.......

Chris, stone-setting courses are a definate option in the UK, access to skilled workmanship and teaching can be very limited. 1-2-1 or very small group.....I also think, as Peter has suggested that a, 'setting up your setting.......what the setter needs to make your setting more successful'...would be a great small group course!!

Best wishes
    Tabby xx

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Chris, you both should come home, it is a nice place to be. We would be happy to visit and inundate you with needs for learning, setting and general good banter.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    Chris, you both should come home, it is a nice place to be. We would be happy to visit and inundate you with needs for learning, setting and general good banter.
    That's kind of what we miss!

How would a small theory discussion group work? With me working under a scope, a hands on lesson might be tricky, but I could explain my theoretics with a drawing board to a group that can split the cost.

Funnily enough, I'm partway through organising something like that for the ACJ Wessex group - it'll only be a shortish presentation, but all I've been asked for is a drawing board.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    How would a small theory discussion group work? With me working under a scope, a hands on lesson might be tricky, but I could explain my theoretics with a drawing board to a group that can split the cost.
    you could always get one of those little camera doobry thingies that will show peeps what you are doing and put the edited short clips onto a large screen as you go through the theory. Seeing what is said in action with some help to focus the attention is invaluable.

Try a USB microscope .. of course you can pay several hundred pounds, but www .dabs.com/products/veho-vms-004-discovery-deluxe-400x-usb-microscope-65CS.html costs about £40 and has 20 - 400x magnification. The local primary school had something similar, which I poured scorn on until I saw the results. I'm sure this would be a worthwhile investment that you could cover the costs on your first tutorial session. Just to state I have no interests in this product or supplier.