Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: West Dean College - stone setting and mounts making

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I am lucky to remember I live in Wiltshire half the time! I get lost even with a TomTom despite living in this county for the last umpteen years. I was even thrown out of geography classes (sadly, not because I couldn't find them!) but rather my inept ability to navigate a map. On my way to my granddad's once, I ended up nearly at Liverpool and I was meant to be in Derby! It happens. I like staying at home!! hahaha

My late husband had a similar problem in navigating, one year after we had just got married, we nearly ended up being divorced when I was accused of intentionally reading the map incorrectly. When he took over the navigation, the book ended up flying out of the window! :P

I think I may have to switch back to navigating by pubs, I could get anywhere when I used to do it that way, no good if one is on the motorway of course!

reading blindness is so much fun sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post

oh my finger is sore from using a bullstick!
    Could have sneaked in some ball burrs & pin vise..I can't believe they still teach bullsticks in this day & age
    They are pre-historic tools that have no place in your workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    I can't believe they still teach bullsticks in this day & age
    Tallies with my culture shock at Jura's though.

I can beat that, my ex husband was interested in treasure hunt type rallying, so we both went on a mapreading course arranged by the motor club he belonged to. It was supposed to be my job to navigate,hence the course. Well after a few days of my ineptitude they threw me off, saying I would be better using a map as toilet paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    I am lucky to remember I live in Wiltshire half the time! I get lost even with a TomTom despite living in this county for the last umpteen years. I was even thrown out of geography classes (sadly, not because I couldn't find them!) but rather my inept ability to navigate a map. On my way to my granddad's once, I ended up nearly at Liverpool and I was meant to be in Derby! It happens. I like staying at home!! hahaha

My late husband had a similar problem in navigating, one year after we had just got married, we nearly ended up being divorced when I was accused of intentionally reading the map incorrectly. When he took over the navigation, the book ended up flying out of the window! :P

I think I may have to switch back to navigating by pubs, I could get anywhere when I used to do it that way, no good if one is on the motorway of course!

reading blindness is so much fun sometimes.

Jura would be abit lost with a traditional bench setup I think

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Could have sneaked in some ball burrs & pin vise..I can't believe they still teach bullsticks in this day & age
    They are pre-historic tools that have no place in your workshop.
    At least I can still play, erm I mean work, in a power cut. Lol

We were given the opportunity, later on, to use burs after we had practiced with ye olde hand tools.

By candlelight? It's all good learning traditional methods but going back to Tudor times is abit much, all very English
    You'd think study workshops would be abit more equipped these days?
    Not necessarily with the latest toys but at least reasonable.
    Do I need to set up a "Blaine Lewis"?
    Ok, let's stop daydreaming for now

By candlelight? It's all good learning traditional methods but going back to Tudor times is abit much, all very English
    We do value the traditional skills and eschew this new-fangled nonsense like electricity

You'd think study workshops would be abit more equipped these days?
    Not necessarily with the latest toys but at least reasonable.
    In the case of West Dean: Let's say the studio was set up 25 years ago. By someone who had retired from jewellery/silversmithing/goldsmithing fulltime. Based around how they were taught...
    James would be a good one to chip in on this; there does seem a fair amount of resistance to adopting modern methods in a lot of the traditional skill areas.

Do I need to set up a "Blaine Lewis"?
    Ok, let's stop daydreaming for now
    So, min 3 full sets of scope/benchmate (or Jura's setup)/GRS or Airgraver/reliable micromotor...? Actually, while it sounds quite an outlay, I guess the breakeven point wouldn't be all that bad if you can get the students in. Probably need an extra set on hand to swap out in the event of faults (the kit, not the students).

Wonder if there would be some funding available for something like that?
    Thing is, the "standard tools" of 25 years ago & how that worker was taught (add another few decades) is old hat.
    At the Cass college in the 80's it was the same, but in reality the functioning trade used drills...nothings progressed for students except abroad.
    Yes, there are fundamental skills to be learnt the old way, but you don't need to go back to Fred flinstone era.

You can throw out the flex-shaft as well, while you're at it and use a micromotor. Dennis.