Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: West Dean College - stone setting and mounts making

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Talking West Dean College - stone setting and mounts making

I am on a three day course as I wanted to improve on my techniques. Or, really, I wanted to learn at the hands of someone and their guidance on claw and Rex settings. There is less call for rex ones and the pre made mounts are easy to purchase and solder onto work. However, I have had some commissions to do some, so it was an opportunity not to miss.

First things first, the tutor Penny was on the course that Carole and I attended. Well, that is fun!

Secondly, oh my finger is sore from using a bullstick!

And....

Thirdly, if you go on a similar course, pack a mini workshop to include as many tools as possible, even files, soldering tweezers, pliers, saw frame etc. the course cost wasn't too bad for three full days and an evening.

Penny is superb and a delight to have instructions from.

I have made a Rex setting... Totally messed up, but learned so much as a result.

Fancy claw setting tomorrow, can't wait!
    Last edited by Wallace; 29-06-2013 at 09:49 PM.

I'm very envious Wallace, West Dean is a fabulous place. Wonder why she was on our course?

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I'm very envious Wallace, West Dean is a fabulous place. Wonder why she was on our course?
    Good question. I think, from conversation, it was a refresher and a way to see how he taught it, will try and make further enquiries. .

Aaaw, interesting to hear Wallace, I've been making a few Rex's lately and some wigwams.....no piccies yet, but will be posting.....I think these are going to become more popular again, (maybe that's the thrill of the making rubbing off on me!!)!!

Phoarr, how fabulous Wallace, a stone setting course at West Dean and the spectacular gardens; it must be heaven. They were our local gardens when we lived 'down south' and much missed. I can't wait to see what you make once you get back to your workshop.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    Good question. I think, from conversation, it was a refresher and a way to see how he taught it, will try and make further enquiries. .
    But didn't she say she hadn't done it before? I thought it was odd that she was so good at the first attempt.

Sounds fun - I had a quick look to see the syllabus, but it seems to have gone from the page.
    Pics?

oh, it was amazing everyone. The info for the course gets taken down the day the course starts. So pretty efficient. I should have saved the pdf, rather than just print it off. Edit, added a link to the next course. Oh, just as a point of note: The mouth blow torches were interesting, I have never used them before and they do take a bit of getting used to. Not good for any asthmatics or if you have a chest infection. You have to take a lot of tools, although Penny does share hers with the group.

The whole learning time was basically 3 days and 3 evenings of learning about the tools, settings and mountings, including how to work out the sizes and distances. Including some really great tips from Penny. Residential options were a bit steep, but neighbouring B&B can bring the price down a lot.

please accept my apologies for the poor pics, learning the new camera with a tired brain and tired hands!

these pictures show the two of the three settings I undertook. A basic crown and a contemporary claw - 6mm CZ used.
    Attachment 4896

Attachment 4897

sorry for not replying sooner. The New Forest has so many trees especially where I was staying that the signal for the internet was patchy.

edit:

Peter: Penny is doing another course next year: https://www.westdean.org.uk/CollegeC...amelling.aspx#

Carole: I remember Tony saying she knew some of it. I spoke with Penny yesterday (lack of internet delayed reply). Penny explained that it was useful to see how Tony delivered his course and the content. She rushed back as she had a teaching session to deliver at West Dean! Penny was brilliant, patient, clear and made us laugh loads too.

Jill: with you on the resurgence of the crown. Can you explain what a wigwam is - or is it better for pictures?

Jules: the gardens were spectacular and the sheep kept me from them. Did I mention I am scared of sheep, not the noise they make.. it is their eyes.... *shuddering* Looking forward to putting some of it all into practice. So exciting to feel like I have some skills that I can apply, but to be fair, Penny was an excellent tutor. I made lots of mistakes but find I learn a lot from them, so happy that it didn't all go to plan.
    Last edited by Wallace; 01-07-2013 at 11:29 PM.

I love that claw setting Wallace. I don't normally like claw settings much but that one is beautiful.

Glad you had a good time. Maybe Penny felt a bit awkward when she was on Tony's course as the rest of us were all beginners. Great that you learned so much.

What a shame those vicious sheep were guarding the arboretum! Wonderful place. I have very happy memories of that arboretum as it was where I took a phone call from my sister to say that she didn't have cancer after having had a hysterectomy.

I really love that setting in the bottom pic Wallace, it has a medieval look about it. It was great to hear how you got on on the course - oh how I'd love to do a stone setting course.
    Ah, shame you don't like sheep - I love em, but them I am surrounded by them. So you would have missed the walled gardens then,
    where the glasshouses are - that's my favourite part of the gardens, that and the Luttyns arch ... many happy memories and we used to go there when the entrance was a portacabin, rather than the rather grand one they have now! Its true Carole, places can be very special indeed, for all sorts of reasons, and I'm so glad your sister doesn't have cancer.
    Jules