Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: West Dean College - stone setting and mounts making

It sounds like a really useful course and I've only ever seen good reviews of the West Dean courses. I love both those settings Wallace, so neat, and I've not seen a claw setting like that before with the cross-over. Lovely!
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    oh, it was amazing everyone. The info for the course gets taken down the day the course starts. So pretty efficient. I should have saved the pdf, rather than just print it off. Edit, added a link to the next course. Oh, just as a point of note: The mouth blow torches were interesting, I have never used them before and they do take a bit of getting used to. Not good for any asthmatics or if you have a chest infection. You have to take a lot of tools, although Penny does share hers with the group.
    Less efficient than you'd think - the link to the next course PDF is a 404
    I've only used the Flamefast torches at West Dean; they've got one that runs off a small aquarium pump as well.

these pictures show the two of the three settings I undertook. A basic crown and a contemporary claw - 6mm CZ used.
    Both look extremely well executed. I'd love to see more stuff in print on mount making; there's not really all that much around, and they all seem to cover the same things. I think one of the best resources I've got on traditional mounts is Jewellery Manufacture and Repair - I think it's better than either Cogswell or Cheadle for traditional mount making.

sorry for not replying sooner. The New Forest has so many trees especially where I was staying that the signal for the internet was patchy.
    The rooms at West Dean have pretty good WiFi - but if you had to come all the way over the the NF to get a signal, there may be a problem with your phone - that's a long way from West Dean

Wish I'd thought, I could have subbed you a cup of tea on the way back!

Quote Originally Posted by MeadMoon View Post
    It sounds like a really useful course and I've only ever seen good reviews of the West Dean courses.
    One of the worst courses I did was one on stone setting at West Dean... But I don't think that tutor is there any more.

Oh dear. Sorry to hear that Peter. When/if I can ever afford to do a course there, I'll be sure to check out all the reviews first
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    One of the worst courses I did was one on stone setting at West Dean... But I don't think that tutor is there any more.
    well, that is a good thing, I would have hated to come back saying it was totally pants! You have moved on to many things since then.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Less efficient than you'd think - the link to the next course PDF is a 404
    I've only used the Flamefast torches at West Dean; they've got one that runs off a small aquarium pump as well.
    Both look extremely well executed. I'd love to see more stuff in print on mount making; there's not really all that much around, and they all seem to cover the same things. I think one of the best resources I've got on traditional mounts is Jewellery Manufacture and Repair - I think it's better than either Cogswell or Cheadle for traditional mount making.
    The rooms at West Dean have pretty good WiFi - but if you had to come all the way over the the NF to get a signal, there may be a problem with your phone - that's a long way from West Dean

Wish I'd thought, I could have subbed you a cup of tea on the way back!
    Cuppa would have been fab! I stayed in Midhurst, just on the outskirts - Orange and trees never work unless there is some semblance of citrus to drink. EE is not everywhere!

It was cheaper to stay further away, at £75 per night at the College, [petrol, additional tools!!!! and the cost of the course, I needed somewhere that really was more economical.
    Do you mean Alan Revere's book? If so, it is very helpful - very clear instructions and ideas.

many thanks for the lovely compliments - it was hard work, but really worth it.

I've been twice. The first time I was on my own and stayed on site. The second time I was with Steve (OH) and we booked into a Travelodge but it wasn't the same, so we cut our losses and managed to get a room at West Dean for the rest of the course. I know it's expensive but I don't think you get the full experience unless you stay there.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I've been twice. The first time I was on my own and stayed on site. The second time I was with Steve (OH) and we booked into a Travelodge but it wasn't the same, so we cut our losses and managed to get a room at West Dean for the rest of the course. I know it's expensive but I don't think you get the full experience unless you stay there.
    It was fine, some of the group stayed away or lived close enough -and I may have to pick a season when the sheep are not free roaming!

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I know it's expensive but I don't think you get the full experience unless you stay there.
    Too true. First course I did there I drove back & forth - that's a *long* day, especially as we weren't getting out of the workshop until 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    Cuppa would have been fab! I stayed in Midhurst, just on the outskirts - Orange and trees never work unless there is some semblance of citrus to drink. EE is not everywhere!
    I was teasing about the location of the New Forest

Do you mean Alan Revere's book? If so, it is very helpful - very clear instructions and ideas.
    Professional Jewelry (sic) Making? Not the one I meant, but it is very good - more focussed on proper goldsmithing techniques than mount making (although yes, there is some - particularly the last project in the book).

Those settings look great Wallace, I'm glad you enjoyed the course.......I am currently in fair preparation mode, so I will post piccies of my settings (and stones, which will eventually be perfected and then set!!), next week......please remind me if I forget!!.......but here is a link to a cast image of the 'kind-of' setting I am referring to.....http://www.eurofindings.com/Product/...Claw-Round-Cut

[QUOTE=ps_bond;57323]

I was teasing about the location of the New Forest

I was wondering where the New Forest came into it too!