Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tumbling with Stainless steel shot

Default Tumbling with Stainless steel shot

Has anyone ever tumbled with Barrelbrite and stainless steel shot, an opal in a ring. It isnt an expensive Opal, but stupidly I set the stone before it dawned on me that I hadnt cleaned it off first, it could really have done with pickling too, but I have hand cleaned it now. Most other stones I use go in the tumbler, not sure about pearls either, it would be interesting to know for future use.

Oops! What does it look like now Pat?

I wouldn't. I thought opals were not only fragile but also porous.

Would love it if pearls could be tumbled but suspect the shot would scratch the nacre.

Opals really don't like water. They're not keen on very rough treatment either, so no, I wouldn't tumble. Not pearls either. As a general rule anything below 5.5 on the mohs scale, or anything porous, friable, filled or otherwise fragile shouldn't go into the tumbler.

I hand cleaned it. Nothing other than spit and polish.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Oops! What does it look like now Pat?

Thats why I didnt tumble it because of the Moh 5.5. I wonder if it hurts getting pearls or opals wet with water, as if its a ring, it would be a bit of a nuisance having to take them off every time. My hands are in water quite a lot, dont like having dirty, sticky hands. yuk.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    I wouldn't. I thought opals were not only fragile but also porous.
    I my understanding, Australian opals are not porous. They may sometimes already have cracks in them that let water do it's damage. Water will act as camouflage to cracks, but not cause them.

Boulder opals will be more fragile as they are made up in a stone or sand matrix with that is likely to include porous materials.

Most Australian opals are stable and rarely crack, unless heated up as this can lead to them expanding and then they will crack, or very low temperatures will cause the same. Some stones purchased may already have cracks or are filled with some of the modern day treatments that become invisible.

Essentially, their water content was made when the stone formed and then become locked into it's opaline crystal structure. I have always made sure when working with them to think about them like I would glass as they have a similarity of hardness - the more modern cuts with facets can make them very fragile in places, but then any thinner materials can run the risk of being damaged when thinned out too much.

They are much maligned, partly due to ancient trading stories and partly due to the cost of them in the first place. Tumbling will more likely scratch the surface of the stone than break or crack it. If it cracks in the tumbler, it was there to begin with. This comes from the knowledge and interest I have with Australian Opals. I really do love all of my preciousesssesssesss..... lol
    Last edited by Wallace; 24-06-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Hi Wallace, I cant remember when I bought it or where I got it, its likely that it would be from either Cooksons or Kernowcraft as thats where most of my stones originally came from. It was very cheap, probably about £3 or so, so not really worried about it too much but the setting turned out very well and it would be a shame to ruin it now. I know you use a lot of C.Z's and I have found a chap in Kingsbridge that sells them and they are the best I have seen. 5x A and some are 3xA for the smaller ones, but they are very good quality and cheapish too. I can pm his details if you are interested.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Hi Wallace, I cant remember when I bought it or where I got it, its likely that it would be from either Cooksons or Kernowcraft as thats where most of my stones originally came from. It was very cheap, probably about £3 or so, so not really worried about it too much but the setting turned out very well and it would be a shame to ruin it now. I know you use a lot of C.Z's and I have found a chap in Kingsbridge that sells them and they are the best I have seen. 5x A and some are 3xA for the smaller ones, but they are very good quality and cheapish too. I can pm his details if you are interested.
    that is very kind of you Pat, I still have more than plenty, I use them for setting practice (I got a whopping load for my course) as they are a cost effective solution to trial and error without the tears and teddy throwing out of a pram. I use mostly semi or precious stones for the things I sell at the moment or, a CZ if the item needs something mahoosive and blingy.

Ohh that's really interesting Wallace. I always assumed they were very fragile. I'd love to have a go with some opals but have always been put off in case I damaged them. I might give it a go now.