Thread: Straightening wire

Default Straightening wire

Having just spent a disproportionate amount of time wrestling with a particularly recalcitrant coil of hard drawn wire, I wondered what everyone else does to straighten the stuff.

I've never quite decided whether it's better to cut first then straighten or try to get it at least straightish before cutting. I think I've tried just about everything from twisting to weights to rolling to milling to drawing in another direction and I still haven't come up with a solution I'm happy with.

Anyone have any brilliant ideas?

We always used a drawbench to straighten wires, gripping one end of a 4ft length with vise grips or just bending it over, feeding the wire through a loose drawplate hole and stretching the wire on the drawbench, only about half a turn of the handle would straighten most lengths. Although I can't do this now, since I sold my drawbench.

James

I had a feeling it might be the obvious answer. I desperately need a drawbench, but simply don't have anywhere to put one unless I can create something clever that can be clamped to the kitchen table!

As I don't have a drawbench either, I usually feed it down through my Maun parallel pliers

You probably remember this from Hans Meevis. It hangs on the wall until needed and then clamps in a vice or onto a kitchen table. A metal workshop that has a welder could easily make it and your life would suddenly take a turn for the better. Dennis.

http://www.meevis.com/jewelry-making...draw-bench.htm.

I knew I'd seen something along those lines Dennis - thank you for reminding me that it was Hans. I may have to experiment!