Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White gold colour problem!

Is the engagement ring 9 or 18ct? Is the whole of the wedding ring discoloured or just part of it? Could it be that your customer's skin is reacting with the 9ct, which of course is two thirds base metal after all! I had a case where the acidity in the skin of a customer meant she came out in a rash while wearing 9ct and the gold went a yucky colour as she was reacting with the base metal part of the alloy. 18ct and above was fine, which although it was a blow to her husband was good news for our till!
    Of course it could also be that the rhodium plating is coming off the white gold part ( assuming you had that bit plated?)

Steve, it looks from the photo she sent me that it's just the bit that was inserted into the foam in the box that has discoloured. The engagement ring is also 9ct and that seems to be OK as she's wearing it. The wedding rings are still in the box awaiting the big day. I had a silver ring that was left in the box for a long time that was badly discoloured, so I may have to change boxes or at least the inserts.

I don't get things rhodium plated as I don't like the look of it. I wish this craze for white gold would hurry up and end.

Do you think it's the black colour of the foam? I'm wondering whether white foam inserts would also be a problem?

That does sound like the foam is offgassing; I don't suppose an anti-tarnish tab or two will combat that?
    I have a box (from EBay) for storage that does that to everything that goes in it - even with the tabs inside.
    Ren Wax is a possibility for storage.

That's odd. I replied to your post Peter, yet mine is listed before yours?

A timestamps mixup somewhere, I'll flag it.

I would doubt that it's the colour - it's more likely to be the composition. I've seen it particularly with MDF & similar - and in the case of my dodgy storage box, I don't know if it's the wood, the glue or the felt covering.

White gold is v popular in the USA, and with purchases taxes usually at a very few % as against our VAT at 20% they can afford gold.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk