Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A curious anomaly

Dear AuSmith,

Please can you use an eye friendly font, font size and colour. I'm sure there is something interesting in what you are saying but the formatting makes it impossible to read.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    Dear AuSmith,

Please can you use an eye friendly font, font size and colour. I'm sure there is something interesting in what you are saying but the formatting makes it impossible to read.

Thanks.
    I second that. I gave up reading too. The screen of my little netbook and varifocals just couldn't cope.

It looks both greedy and petty.
    Correct on both, sadly I don't see it changing anytime soon.

An example

Price of 3mm Clear Cast Acrylic sheet 3020mm x 2040mm from Perspex UK

£71.86 + VAT + Delivery

Price of 3mm Clear Cast Acrylic sheet from "Popular Online Supplier" 3020mm x 2040mm

£191.50 + VAT + Delivery

If you want the full sheet cut down by "Popular Online Supplier" they do the first 5 straight cuts for free, after that it's 50p per cut (On something that already has a £100+ markup)

Normal buyers without Perspex UK accounts rave about the fantastic value they are getting from the vendor and have little realisation what they are getting for free is really costing them through the nose but they aren't being told. As of the start of this financial year that "popular online supplier" is top of the UK suppliers of "Trade" plastics.....

Argg my eyes

We aren't talking about these businesses being geared to Independent Jewellers like us
    I need better glasses

No they won't be, they are far more interested in somebody who comes along and asks for 1,000 tubes per order.

..Other than that, buying a rolling mill and amassing all the recipes and equipment necessary to produce your own mill products,
    oooerrrr that's going to cost

best wishes

Dave
    Last edited by Exsecratio; 20-06-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Default La ronde

The bottom line is that we have to shop around to find the best price. But jewellers can always add a surcharge for 'cost management'.

Dennis.

I think it's down to expectation as well Dennis, I'm going to be having a ring made for my wife and I'm fully expecting that to cost me plenty. I'm not just buying a ring the way I see it, I'm buying decades of experience and professionalism and that comes at a price. (as soon as time permits I'll be asking Peter if he can help as he's only 15 miles away).

I'll always maintain much of the work I've seen advertised by people here is a LOT cheaper than I would expect, if only I had the skills I have seen demonstrated here

best wishes

Dave