Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cookson becomes Heimerle Meule

@kimby... Let's call it inside information

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenwonder View Post
    hmmmm, should we be purchasing shares???

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenwonder View Post
    except as the link in my post above shows, it's been public knowledge for two months, so not really news nor inside information.

We are pleased to announce that as of 31st May 2013 Cookson Precious Metals was acquired by Heimerle + Meule GmbH.

Heimerle + Meule was founded in 1845 and is Germany's oldest gold and silver refinery with headquarters in Pforzheim. They are a leading manufacturer of precious metal products, and offer high quality materials and semi finished products for the jewellery industry.

This newly formed European group is now better able to quickly respond to your needs. Going forward our customers will benefit from an extended product and service range throughout Europe that is supported by local service. The companies of this new group complement each other. Together we look forward to a shining precious metal future.

Cooksongold remains unchanged and its business as usual.

Heimerle Meule is now together with:
    Cookson Great Brittain
    Cookson France
    Sempsa España
    Cookson Netherlands
    Koutadly Portugal

Owner of Heimerle Meule is L. Possehl &co

If it means we may get our hands on some of the lovely equipment available in other countries, bring it on! I doubt it though, as most of the stuff I covet is only available in America.

In the Netherlands it was not possible to order a laser equipment at Cooksons. In between a few weeks this will be possible. So I think this is a positive move.

I'm hoping for a wider selection of burrs (particularly the Busch AU range). With what I'm up to now I'm finding what's generally available in the UK somewhat clumsy & restrictive.

You seem to have a vested interest, Goldenwonder - can I ask what that is, please?

Carole and Peter - I had an idea the other day about starting up a website selling bits and bobs that are difficult to find over here - it would have to be small things, like burrs/radial discs (without the bloody mandrel!) GRS quick change gravers etc, rather than big equipment, as I've nowhere to store big stuff. Good idea do you think? Trying to work out startup costs and whether manufacturers would wholesale to a sole trader.

Sounds good, but would you get the scale to do it?

I'd forget about the GRS bits - that deal seems quite tied down; GRS sell to 1 European (Swiss actually, but never mind) stockist and I *think* there's a sole agreement on import into the UK. Burrs could be good, but you'd probably need to maintain stock, and if there's just me who wants weird & wonderful sizes then I'm not a big enough market. Space & logistics are always an issue - if you've got 1000 burrs as inventory, they quickly mount up. The other question that springs to mind is - can you devote enough time to it? For many part-timers, if it takes a couple of days extra to get supplies in then we can possibly work around it; if you're full-time & operating JIT on stocking then not having the burr you need the next day can be crippling.

So yes, it'd be interesting - but there's a lot of potential issues you'd need to go into to make a clear decision; I wouldn't want to say "yes, go for it" without raising some caveats! I've probably been hanging around lawyers too much