Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welsh Slate.

Default Welsh Slate.

Sheepy ‘s post showing her ring with a texture of Welsh Slate, brought back the memory of when I drove our family, touring North wales, In our VW camper.

We Stopped at a Slate quarry and the parking bays were marked out with lumps of you know what, a large piece at the front. Of course on our return I forgot about the rock at the front and drove forward. The resulting crunch bent the tie bar of one of our front wheels.

We were told that there was a VW dealer about twenty miles ahead, so we made our slow and wobbly way, to the frustration of the drivers behind us.
    From then on it all turned more positive: Yes, they would help us that day and yes they had the part in stock. Two hours on and more than a hundred pounds in money lighter, we drove on to our evening stop.

Lovely people the Welsh, but I have reservations about their slate. Not Your fault Sheepy.
    Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VW Camper.jpg  

The VW vans were useless at going up steep hills though, I have been a dedicated VW van owner for the past 30 years. Those old rear engine jobs were terrible on the Welsh and Scottish hills. We have travelled most of the UK in our VW vans, most were home converted to suit us, we never slept in them though, but our dogs needed the space that a car couldn't offer. I am on my 6th. VW van now. I have a VW Shuttle with a 2.5 ltr turbo diesel and it's terrific. No problems with hill driving in this one.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Sheepy ‘s post showing her ring with a texture of Welsh Slate, brought back the memory of when I drove our family, touring North wales, In our VW camper.

We Stopped at a Slate quarry and the parking bays were marked out with lumps of you know what, a large piece at the front. Of course on our return I forgot about the rock at the front and drove forward. The resulting crunch bent the tie bar of one of our front wheels.

We were told that there was a VW dealer about twenty miles ahead, so we made our slow and wobbly way, to the frustration of the drivers behind us.
    From then on it all turned more positive: Yes, they would help us that day and yes they had the part in stock. Two hours on and more than a hundred pounds in money lighter, we drove on to our evening stop.

Lovely people the Welsh, but I have reservations about their slate. Not Your fault Sheepy.
    Dennis
    as an adopted Gog, I take exception to your comments about Welsh slate! It is beautiful stuff, far superior in colour to Cornish and most spanish and chinese slate.

As a native Gog I feel very lucky to live where I do (rain included and we do get a lot of it !). Dennis, was the slate quarry at Blaenau Ffestiniog, if so I bet the VW liked the pull over the Crimea.
    I use slate coasters with my jewellery display and they compliment each other very well.

Sorry I can't remember the name. It was While I still had children and they're all around fifty now, give or take.

My love of Wales comes from when I was evacuated to a farm near Carmarthen during WW2. Dennis.

Some of the finest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I love the Welsh, so friendly.

I'm hoping to move to Wales in the future when work is quieter and less general family stuff to do.

best wishes

Dave

Sorry I can't remember the name. It was While I still had children and they're all around fifty now, give or take.

My love of Wales comes from when I was evacuated to a farm near Carmarthen during WW2. Dennis.
    ahh my other half is from Carmarthen.

Anna, whereabouts in Wales are you? I grew up near Caernarfon.

My mum was also evacuated to Wales but she went to Barry. Carmarthen is a beautiful area.

Quote Originally Posted by Exsecratio View Post
    Some of the finest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I love the Welsh, so friendly.

I'm hoping to move to Wales in the future when work is quieter and less general family stuff to do.

best wishes

Dave
    Which part Dave? House prices are quite silly in some places as they have become popular for holiday homes.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    ahh my other half is from Carmarthen.

Anna, whereabouts in Wales are you? I grew up near Caernarfon.
    Pm sent.

I'm a Howell and my fiance is a Morgan, both families originated near Monmouthshire where my ancestor King Hywell held a seat. Strange to think that there our ancestors would have known and maybe married each other
    The other strange thing i discovered is that both welsh families had honorary Scottish clans and tartans.
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED

Hi Anna,

Carmarthen I expect, I did look at a lovely place (http://www.upmarketpropertywales.com...PHOTOSonly.pdf

But the surrounding ground was water logged (due to the hills) and would have required a lot of work, I also lost both my Parents, my father-in-law and my son-in-law within 2 1/2 years of each other right in the middle of the moving idea so it went on the back burner while I concentrated on that.

I lived in central London for 2 years (and hated every minute of it) then moved to the New Forest (and got used to having Forest Ponies for neighbours) but work raised it's ugly head and we moved the Company back to the Salisbury area so that's where I ended up.

I really love Wales though, first chance I get we will be off there for sure

best wishes

Dave