Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soldering torch choices

Default Soldering torch choices

Ok my little cooks torch has given up the ghost (melted oops) but it lasted enough for only a fiver. It melted as i was trying to get a heavier D shaped wire up to temperature..................it just wasn't up to the job.
    I'm still constrained by budget but would appreciate your views on which torch is best, i have looked at this Proxxon one http://www.powertooldirect.co.uk/pro...e-p-78654.html but cousins also has a couple http://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/equ...der-tec#select
    I don't really understand why the prices differ so much and if there is much difference between the torches and if any of them will do the job............HELP (again, sorry)
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED

How about a flame polisher Truffs ? not cheap but last a lifetime and can do 1800+ centigrade all day (they run from electricity and split water into Oxygen + Hydrogen)

best wishes

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Exsecratio View Post
    How about a flame polisher Truffs ? not cheap but last a lifetime and can do 1800+ centigrade all day (they run from electricity and split water into Oxygen + Hydrogen)

best wishes

Dave
    I wish!................................. perhaps a tad strong for my little ikea kitchen trolley bench in the corner of my lounge too lol
    X
    Tasha
    X

I don't have one myself, but if you are only going to buy one torch, some people here favour the Nimrod as it can give out plenty of heat when needed. Dennis.

http://www.nimrodeuropedirect.com/?opt=item&id=132
    Last edited by Dennis; 11-06-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I don't have one myself, but if you are only going to buy one torch, some people here favour the Nimrod as it can give out plenty of heat when needed. Dennis.

http://www.nimrodeuropedirect.com/?opt=item&id=132
    What do you use Dennis?
    X
    Tasha
    X

I have lots of hand torches (as well as propane and oxy-propane alternatives) as these are what I use the most. For everyday work I like the Proxxon and the Nimrod PT-75. For heavier stuff, the Nimrod 500 is excellent. For more than that, if I want to stay hose-free, I use a Rothenburger top on a MAPP cylinder or an orca adapted to use the same cannister (though this does involves a short length of hose).

The Nimrod / Iroda PT200 is a good cheaper option, but doesn't have as good flow control as the PT 75.

Most microtorches will do the job pretty well - just look for one which is more metal than plastic!

Would any of them be powerful enough to solder a bangle George?

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I have lots of hand torches (as well as propane and oxy-propane alternatives) as these are what I use the most. For everyday work I like the Proxxon and the Nimrod PT-75. For heavier stuff, the Nimrod 500 is excellent. For more than that, if I want to stay hose-free, I use a Rothenburger top on a MAPP cylinder or an orca adapted to use the same cannister (though this does involves a short length of hose).

The Nimrod / Iroda PT200 is a good cheaper option, but doesn't have as good flow control as the PT 75.

Most microtorches will do the job pretty well - just look for one which is more metal than plastic!

If you had to pick only one torch from the Nimrod PT-75, the Nimrod 500 and the Proxxon, which would you pick George? I want to be able to tackle this heavier wire but i also want be able to tame it down for more delicate bits...........................to be honest i'm not sure what all the differences are, the torch i had was supposed to reach 1300 but it won't even touch this heavier wire, it is a "cooks" torch though. The trouble i'm having is the thicker wire won't reach temp but the thin sheet i'm soldering to it reaches temp by conduction very quickly so the solder is flowing onto the back of that and not sticking to the heavy wire. I must have tried 25 odd times now in all possible ways and the surfaces have been absolutely spotless, when i tried to flow the solder solely onto the thick wire to then sweat solder, it would not budge and didn't come close flowing despite intense blasting of the wire and ensuring the prep was perfect. This lead me to conclude i just didn't have the power in the flame and to top it off the plastic casing has melted.................eek! TBF it was picked up for 4.99 from home bargains lol ( done the job so far though bless it, feel a bit sorry for it )
    Tasha
    X

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Would any of them be powerful enough to solder a bangle George?
    No problem with the PT500 - I happily solder 3mm round or 4x2mm rectangular bangles with this. It will also anneal really very heavy pieces of metal, solder copper and melt stuff blithely!

Quote Originally Posted by Truffle & Podge View Post
    If you had to pick only one torch from the Nimrod PT-75, the Nimrod 500 and the Proxxon, which would you pick George? I want to be able to tackle this heavier wire but i also want be able to tame it down for more delicate bits...........................to be honest i'm not sure what all the differences are, the torch i had was supposed to reach 1300 but it won't even touch this heavier wire, it is a "cooks" torch though. The trouble i'm having is the thicker wire won't reach temp but the thin sheet i'm soldering to it reaches temp by conduction very quickly so the solder is flowing onto the back of that and not sticking to the heavy wire. I must have tried 25 odd times now in all possible ways and the surfaces have been absolutely spotless, when i tried to flow the solder solely onto the thick wire to then sweat solder, it would not budge and didn't come close flowing despite intense blasting of the wire and ensuring the prep was perfect. This lead me to conclude i just didn't have the power in the flame and to top it off the plastic casing has melted.................eek! TBF it was picked up for 4.99 from home bargains lol ( done the job so far though bless it, feel a bit sorry for it )
    Tough one. Probably a PT-75, with a second handheld (a cheap PT200 or proxxon is fine) for a bit of extra oomph if I need it. I tend to use whichever one I've just filled and is nearest to hand. Today it was a proxxon and a PT75. The only problem with all of them is that the self-lighting mechanism does eventually fail, so I keep a lighter or sparker to hand just in case.