Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Soldering torch choices

Our board layout lot do like to use as thin a layer as they can get away with, but there's invariably a moderate current requirement so - particularly for power plane layers - we tend to spec a decent thickness. Rework with a decent Metcal helps - and TBH I get along better with them than air pencils, although SMDs can still be prone to tombstoning with reel solder.

Quote Originally Posted by susieq View Post
    Just want to say, you ask such great questions!

Today I have been battling with soldering some 0.5m bezels. In class I have been using a Sievert torch to practice soldering the bezels with no problem (although that was copper); my little cooks torch at home, which should be perfectly okay for the bezels - albeit silver, is turning them an alarming bright day-glow red and I'm having to back off with the heat to avoid melting the setting. No idea why the much more powerful sievert at class is fine, but the handheld at home is threatening to melt.

I think one of the troubles of learning to solder is with the determination of what constitutes "large". Trouble is that it's not until you nearly run your torch out of gas trying to solder something and the solder simply won't run that you begin to wonder whether its the torch or you! Still not worked that one out.

I have read somewhere that soldering is hard until one day it isn't. I'm hoping that day will be sooner rather than later.

Susie
    Thanks Susie,
    I think its because i am so utterly bewildered lol. Totally agree with your statement about what constitutes large as i tend to work with long thin pieces so working out how far along i have to heat is a nightmare (i know you are supposed to heat the whole piece up but i have found that when you have a 30cm long stretch of hammered wire it's really not necessary and virtually impossible really) I too am praying that eureka day is not far away!
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED

I've got a PT75 which I've used a fair amount over the past 6 months; it's fantastically quick for chain links, but there's no way I'd have tried it on the 550x20x0.8mm bangle I soldered the other day - the Sievert might have been the most sensible choice for that, although I used the Little Torch with a #7 tip. Having soldering blocks piled up to reflect heat back helps a lot.

ordered a T-75 this morning direct from nimrod, should be here tomorrow fingers crossed, tbh i don't do much edge to edge seam soldering it's more piece on piece and Neil at nimrod assured me the T-75 was the best option......................if it don't work guess it will have to go back lol
    wish me luck as the rage is boiling and it won't take much to cause an eruption haha
    X
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED