Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Freepost to Europe & PayPal

Default Freepost to Europe & PayPal

1st rant - I know I'm in a minority here living in France but when Cooksons offer free postage to UK only couldn't they offer some sort of discount to people outside the UK, just take the cost of the UK postage off our postage ? Just a little discount to show they appreciate us as customers too ?

2nd rant - I'm resurrecting an old posting here but PLEASE Cooksons start taking PayPal payments, I like so many of Cooksons customers get paid for their orders via PayPal it makes so much sense to be able to pay our supplies bills using it too.

That's got that off my chest thank you all ;-)

Karen
    La Vidalerie

1st rant - I know I'm in a minority here living in France but when Cooksons offer free postage to UK only couldn't they offer some sort of discount to people outside the UK, just take the cost of the UK postage off our postage ? Just a little discount to show they appreciate us as customers too ?
    Nice idea but where would it stop? Germany isn't much further than France, Italy isn't far from Germany? etc etc eventually they would have to offer freepost worldwide and overseas postage is wayyy expensive from the UK.

2nd rant - I'm resurrecting an old posting here but PLEASE Cooksons start taking PayPal payments, I like so many of Cooksons customers get paid for their orders via PayPal it makes so much sense to be able to pay our supplies bills using it too.
    Add in the increased costs and time involved in taking paypal and somebody would end up paying those costs, it would likely mean an increase is actual prices to cover all the fee's Paypal charge (as well as the chargebacks and ancillary costs that come with Paypal use on occasion) It would be a benefit for buyers but I don't see any benefit for wholesalers.

best wishes

Dave

I have to say that in the past I have enjoyed free postage from Cookies UK and I thank them very very much for it whenever it occurs. Maybe you can see if you can order the items you want direct from your Cookies France so you will be paying the local postage charge, in place of international. I appreciate that the choice is not as comprehensive, for me also.
    Poor old Les

I never bother with freepost. It's sent cheapest way, which means the rubbish home delivery service (in our case, very smelly man in even smellier van) and arrives days late, if at all. Postage costs should have been built into the price of sourcing materials anyway, so I never think it's much of an incentive to regular buyers, more to impulse or occasional purchasers.

Paypal mastercard is the simple way to use paypal funds, both face to face and anywhere online that doesn't accept regular paypal transfers.

Hi Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Exsecratio View Post
    Nice idea but where would it stop? Germany isn't much further than France, Italy isn't far from Germany? etc etc eventually they would have to offer freepost worldwide and overseas postage is wayyy expensive from the UK.
    Sorry I think you misunderstood me, I didn't say I expected free postage but a discount on my postage would be nice when free UK postage is offered ;-) And thanks for updating me about the UK postage system, when I left the UK postage to France, Italy and Germany was the same - they seem to have made everything very complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Exsecratio View Post
    Add in the increased costs and time involved in taking paypal and somebody would end up paying those costs, it would likely mean an increase is actual prices to cover all the fee's Paypal charge (as well as the chargebacks and ancillary costs that come with Paypal use on occasion) It would be a benefit for buyers but I don't see any benefit for wholesalers.
    Oh well - it was a nice idea.

Hi Les, I wish I could but the last time I bought from Cooksons in France I was told that they didn't have 925 silver as it wasn't the French standard and they could only sell me 950 and the postage charge was almost the same !

I agree with George. I once ordered freepost and my parcel worth in excess of £1,000 was left under the door mat!

Hi Karen,

Our postal service (I'll of course remember there are Ladies present) is something that annoys me no end, I gave up with RM in the end due to the number of lost or damaged packages Prices went up again a short while ago....to get 3KG to the USA costs me as much by RM (and takes ages) as a courier will do 40Kg for on 2 day delivery!! If it's glassware (laser lens's are apparently considered glass even though they are metals) the chances of redress seem to be nil with RM.

I buy quite a lot in China, their speedpost can get items to me in a few days at very low prices, to return a defective item often costs more than the original total purchase price so in most cases I just write the item off

Worst part about Praypal is chargebacks, 5 months down the road a £5,000 delivery that was signed for can be charged back by the CC company and without any warning or checking PP just freeze the amount or deduct it from the linked account. Due to them being registered outside of the UK they seem to be a law unto themselves and add arbitrary conditions as and when they see fit.
    Although this can happen with a merchant account at least you get some kind of redress to appeal the decision.

Up to £500 I don't mind paypal but past that it can turn into a nightmare for wholesale use (especially business to business sales)

best wishes

Dave

Postage is the same anywhere in the EU. But agree the logistics of knocking off money for EU customers is prob too much hassle. When ever I've taken advantage of freepost via a code I always choose SD. When I spent my vouchers the other week during the freepost offer my stuff was sent recorded. I think Yodel have cleaned up there act in my area as it always comes to the door now. My Hermes still leave parcels kicking about the road though. They don't even put it inside the gate.

Firstly it costs about the same to accept paypal and visa/maestro/american express etc payments. Merchant accounts cost.
    Secondly, of course companies can offer 'free' shipping. It just get built into the price, along with the cost of putting the items into an envelope. Some online sellers don't charge for shipping anywhere in the world. Even by secure courier.
    There is no point sending anything precious metal by recorded Royal Mail as they do not compensate for such items. Therefore no point in getting proof of posting either.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk