Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freepost to Europe & PayPal

I sell a lot of things online, and if possible, I like to use paypal to pay my wholesalers. Not just because most of my customers pay me that way either.

I had a delivery of 2 dozen smoking dragon incense cone holders a while ago. They were so badly moulded they were not fit for purpose. I contacted the supplier who was incredibly unhelpful. The best they would do was a credit note for half the stock, but I needed to buy replacement stock elsewhere.

As I had paid with paypal, I opened a dispute and got all my money back. So much easier and less time consuming.

As to royal mail vs couriers, a lot of the cheaper couriers are franchises and are only as good as the local company. If you live in an area where they care, they are fine. I have had a couple where they have delivered to the wrong house, the wrong village etc, and will argue that their description of the house they left it at fits yours completely, even when they are as different as windsor castle and 10 downing street.

The good couriers are more expensive, but I suppose you get what you pay for. I have had very little trouble with royal mail, and would rather send with them than Yodel any day of the week.

if you pay for something and it goes missing because it hasn't been properly delivered to your door, do you get your money back? One of my neighbours who never uses her back door only realised that her computer had been sitting by the back gate (so on a public road) for two days because my mum happened to notice it. My Hermes had just dumped it there. Now if someone had decided to nick it, who is liable?

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Firstly it costs about the same to accept paypal and visa/maestro/american express etc payments. Merchant accounts cost.
    Secondly, of course companies can offer 'free' shipping. It just get built into the price, along with the cost of putting the items into an envelope. Some online sellers don't charge for shipping anywhere in the world. Even by secure courier.
    There is no point sending anything precious metal by recorded Royal Mail as they do not compensate for such items. Therefore no point in getting proof of posting either.
    you might not get compensation, but you do get tracking, which for a lot of people is enough.

I offer free shipping for orders over £200. It's not worked into the final price, it's just a perk for customers who fork out a lot of cash in one go.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    if you pay for something and it goes missing because it hasn't been properly delivered to your door, do you get your money back? One of my neighbours who never uses her back door only realised that her computer had been sitting by the back gate (so on a public road) for two days because my mum happened to notice it. My Hermes had just dumped it there. Now if someone had decided to nick it, who is liable?
    They are. They hadn't delivered it. This is why so many of the couriers want you to sign away your rights if you ask them to leave it with a neighbour or in a safe place.

In another vein, has anyone ever tried to refuse a delivery from a courier? I have had a couple of occasions where what is clearly a mobile phone has been offered for delivery - but since it isn't mine, nor is it addressed to me (correct address, wrong name), I won't accept it. There's no option for that, it seems.

I recently refused a delivery of some padded envelopes, where the box had clearly been chucked around and then dumped under something very heavy, so was almost shredded. The driver scratched his head a lot and looked utterly bewildered, but eventually threw it back into the van. When I contacted the seller, they had no idea at all, but eventually accepted that since there was no signature, there had been no delivery.

I've recently refused a delivery from Amazon of a printer as the box looked like it had been chewed on all the corners and the cardboard seemed damp. I took a photo of the box with my phone, told the courier I would not accept it and got straight onto Amazon to set out the position. Bless them, a new printer was dispatched immediately and delivered the next day
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    They are. They hadn't delivered it. This is why so many of the couriers want you to sign away your rights if you ask them to leave it with a neighbour or in a safe place.

In another vein, has anyone ever tried to refuse a delivery from a courier? I have had a couple of occasions where what is clearly a mobile phone has been offered for delivery - but since it isn't mine, nor is it addressed to me (correct address, wrong name), I won't accept it. There's no option for that, it seems.
    when you say 'they are' do you mean the courier company?

Yup. No signature, no acceptance of goods, no proof of them being delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Yup. No signature, no acceptance of goods, no proof of them being delivered.
    But the customer doesn't have to battle with the courier company, the supplier does, yes?

I both buy and sell a lot mail order and when stuff I have sold on ebay (never happened that stuff I make has gone awol, thank god) has gone missing I refund the seller and chase it of with RM if it shows non-delivery (I always send tracked).

Now if I sent out something really expensive, like bullion worth a small fortune, via a company that just dumped it in the street, I'd want to know it's been delivered. But for sure My Hermes do not get signatures (though stuff from Yodel does). So how good are these companies at compensating for loss? and if enough customers are making claims against these companies, would that stop suppliers from using them?

They all hate it when you won't accept stuff. It means more paperwork for them. I have as much trouble from Mu Hermes as I do from Yodel. One of the problems with Royal Mail signed for is a lot of time they don't bother with the signatures if it will go through the letterbox.

If i was dishonest, I reckon I could have claimed that several thousand pounds of stuff never arrived, purely because postie just shoved it through my door.