Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Piercing?

Hey Peter, yup it's me

I needed something more taxing than chopping up MDF and answering broken laser questions all day, it was your cufflinks you posted on the laserscript forums that made me look at jewellery (Plus I'd really like to develop a skill, lasers don't need skill just patience and a good memory)

Hi Carol,

Laser cutting some metals like silver require a lot of power, some smaller machines will do it with high power CO2 lasers in them but the only way to get decent quality with no raising or dross is to use a YAG or Fiber laser with high pressure Nitrogen gas pumped into the cut. It's more expensive to do that way but is the only way to get decent quality.
    Different lasers have different properties, a machine that will cut 20mm thick acrylic may not cut metal at all, a machine that flys through metal may not even scorch wood and so on, it's all to do with wavelength and power.The individual cost of machines (especially metal cutters) can be very high so people who have maybe only one or two types will try to diversify into new markets without realising the laser they have isn't always suited to what they are trying to do.

best wishes

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Wales View Post
    Surely they are creating a generation of programmers and assemblers rather than skilled metalworkers?
    I still think I could sit any of my colleagues down in front of a 3d CAD package and have them design a ring - but it won't have any of the design flair that a skilled bench jeweller would put into it.

A chap came over and said that he could cut it all out for me with his machine from China and would I be interested in some quotes. I think he missed the irony when I asked him where he felt that left me and my skills!
    I've got a couple of bits of work in at the moment - both are cast semi-set mounts, one's from Domino, the other from China. When they're done I'll put some pictures up, they provide a really thorough reinforcement of my belief that the Chinese cast stuff can't hold a candle. Yes, they're cheap - but the word is "cheap", not inexpensive.

I know I've sold my soul by mass producing but the money's good. By having some things laser cut, it gives me time to be more creative with other stuff. Most of the things I get laser cut are just components of pieces. If I cut everything out by hand I'd never get time to sleep. As it is, I normally work 12 hour days. I'd hate to never use my skills but I think a little help here and there is good. Bring it on, I say!

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I know I've sold my soul by mass producing but the money's good.
    It's a trend that's been around a while now
    James, didn't you blank pieces with a flypress?

I know I've sold my soul by mass producing but the money's good. By having some things laser cut, it gives me time to be more creative with other stuff. Most of the things I get laser cut are just components of pieces. If I cut everything out by hand I'd never get time to sleep. As it is, I normally work 12 hour days. I'd hate to never use my skills but I think a little help here and there is good. Bring it on, I say!
    I don't think you've sold your soul Carole. I rely on castings heavily and as you say,the money's good. Having put the time and effort into making the first one I feel I can justify using them. I think the point I was trying to make was maybe the trend to there being no " hands on " skill involved just clever machine operators.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    It's a trend that's been around a while now
    James, didn't you blank pieces with a flypress?
    Peter, In the way distant past I used flypresses when making multiples of badgework, I only blanked out and domed discs for badge backings, the actual badges were pressings supplied to me by my customer. I sold my best Norton flypress about ten years ago, I only have a small one now, which is never used. I do use a small bench mounted arbor press for some shaping jobs. I have now stopped taking on commissions and only help friends out when asked, mostly with antique restorations.

James

Between us today, my assistant Danielle and I made:

8 heart pendants with gold centred flowers - hearts cut with heart cutter, flowers laser cut, gold pen plating

9 enamelled disc earrings and pendants - disc cutters

1 engraved ring - casting and computerised engraving

2 engraved bangles - bangles made by hand with laser cut flower and laser cut gold heart, computerised engraving

3 pairs enamelled cufflinks - cast

3 pairs enamelled earrings - cast

If I had to make all that from scratch, I'd still be making them next week. I do agree though Anna, I hate the thought that 3d printers will take over in the future.

I hate the thought that 3d printers will take over in the future.
    I fully agree even though my day job involves using the latest technology, even now there are moves for metal loaded UV resins for 3d printers...give it a few years and any skills I had as an engineer will be worthless

Lasers are fast and accurate but I'm due to have a ring made for my Wife for putting up with me and there's no way I'll be looking for some teccy based stuff, I'll be looking round here at having one handmade by one of you CraftsPeople. A handmade ring for my Wife has more "Soul" than mass produced laser made stuff.

best wishes

Dave

I guess it all depends on what you are making and how you are doing it, people seem to have an opinion without ever trying to use it, I make bespoke pieces, one at a time using Cad, I can produce things I could of never of dreamed of making without it. I design, mill, cast, build, set and finish everything myself in my little workshop with the radio on and a nice cup of tea, if using this somehow me gives them less soul then so be it, I'm ginger anyway so not really sure what soul is anyway ;-).

Between us today, my assistant Danielle and I made:etc.....
    Headline from today's times
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan.jpg  
    Last edited by Dennis; 13-06-2013 at 06:00 PM.