Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking AGAIN!

Default Hallmarking AGAIN!

Can anyone tell me if I need to get an item hallmarked please. The complete item is under the regulated weight for hallmarking silver, but I made a flower, like a big daisy and the middle bit is in gold which I dont know how heavy it is as it was a ball about 5mm across and flat at the back for the centre of the flower. Cant make another gold ball as I dont have any more gold to weigh it, so I dont know if its more than 1grm. Does gold weigh the same as silver, if so I can weigh a silver ball as I have quite a few of those.

Density of gold is 19.3, silver is 10.5. So... If you double the weight of your silver ball, you'll be slightly over the weight of a gold ball the same size.

Isn't it the total weight of metal that is measured? So if there's more than 1g in total and some of it is gold, it needs to be hallmarked.

A 5mm diameter Sphere has a volume of 65.44984694978734 Cubic Millimeters (0.065449847 Cubic Centimeters)

Pure Golds atomic weight is 19.32 Grms per Cubic Centimeter

0.065449847 x 19.32 = 1.2644901 Grms for a pure gold Sphere 5mm in Diameter.

best wishes

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Isn't it the total weight of metal that is measured? So if there's more than 1g in total and some of it is gold, it needs to be hallmarked.
    That was my understanding.

Not strictly true. Take for example a silver item decorated with gold wire. The wire weighs less than a gram and the silver weighs 5g. No requirement to mark at all.
    You need to look at individual weights of the metals. If the gold content weighs more than 1 gram then you'll need a mark on it. If the silver bit weighs more than 7.78g you'll need a mark on that too. In your case if I were you I'd have it all marked (and not just because I want the business!) If you have added gold then it must be to increase the value (or you would have gold plated the silver?). With a gold and silver hallmark on it the perceived value to the client increases, and so you would probably be able to charge more! (I mean even more than you would have charged plus the hallmarking charge BTW!)Plus of course no chance of infringing the act, if you're unsure how much the gold part weighed. (Note for next time - weigh the components before assembly to check the weights used :-) )

I tend to have a design in mind and make the rest up as I go I'm afraid. I dont use "plated" anything, all mine is solid, whether it be silver or gold, and I didnt add it to increase the cost of it, just because in my opinion it looked better, otherwise I would have used silver. The flowers weight is under 6 grms including the gold bit as its only made from thin silver sheet ( 0.40mm), as I didn't want it to weigh too much to be uncomfortable and heavy. I didnt weigh the gold before as it was an afterthought and when I had soldered it on it just occurred to me that perhaps it was over 1g. Not quite what size 1g gold looks like, so may have a weigh-in of another gold ball when i have time. Thanks for the info, I will wait until I have a pile to send up to you.

Just out of interest, is hallmarking ever enforced with artisan jewellers? I've never heard of anyone ever being prosecuted.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Just out of interest, is hallmarking ever enforced with artisan jewellers? I've never heard of anyone ever being prosecuted.
    Good question Carole. It's crossed my mind at a few events I've attended as to whether some of the makers are as fussy about hallmarking laws as they should be and also how the rules are enforced. If they're not then it seems unfair to all of us who do things properly. I registered with London in 1981 and I still feel proud each time I stamp something I've made. How sad must I be !!

Trading Standards once came round a farmers market where I was selling and had a conversation with anothr seller. Informed and told he had to be in compliance and they would check in two months.Caroleallen

Yes, I still feel excited to see my mark on stuff, Anna.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk