Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking AGAIN!

ps bond - standard turnaround time is 3-5 working days, but we do an overnight service, a same day service and a one hour service as well.

Patstone and Anna Wales, if you'd like to pm me your details I'll send them out to you.

Anything more than overnight seems overkill when you have to face the vagaries of RM as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLAO View Post
    ps bond - standard turnaround time is 3-5 working days, but we do an overnight service, a same day service and a one hour service as well.

Patstone and Anna Wales, if you'd like to pm me your details I'll send them out to you.
    Thanks Steve.Pm sent.

I've received the boxes as promised from Steve, so I thought I'd give an update. I assume I've had a small and a large box ( white corrugated plastic). Large is 39 x 25 x 17cms so way too big for me. Small one is 25 x 13 x 11cms and 200g. I've sent off my hallmarking today and I have to say I like the box. I always scratch around for something to put the parcel in but the items have been wrapped in kitchen roll then tucked in the foam (enclosed with box) and that's it. I put the box in a snug-fitting grey plastic mail bag. Thanks, Steve.

Likewise, thank you; the small is great for most things, although the bowl I sent in wouldn't have fitted in that. Quite pleased that I can *just* get the small into the prepay (ish) bags.
    Should be good to see how they work going back & forth.

do let me know how you get on then

ooh are you sending out boxes? would love some that would fit the circlets i need to send once i get registered with you
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED

Let me know when you register and I'll send you some out to trial

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLAO View Post
    Not strictly true. Take for example a silver item decorated with gold wire. The wire weighs less than a gram and the silver weighs 5g. No requirement to mark at all.
    You need to look at individual weights of the metals. If the gold content weighs more than 1 gram then you'll need a mark on it. If the silver bit weighs more than 7.78g you'll need a mark on that too. In your case if I were you I'd have it all marked (and not just because I want the business!) If you have added gold then it must be to increase the value (or you would have gold plated the silver?). With a gold and silver hallmark on it the perceived value to the client increases, and so you would probably be able to charge more! (I mean even more than you would have charged plus the hallmarking charge BTW!)Plus of course no chance of infringing the act, if you're unsure how much the gold part weighed. (Note for next time - weigh the components before assembly to check the weights used :-) )
    Does anyone know if this is still the case for items where both the individual gold and silver elements are under the legal weights? I was told recently that its not and am a little confused.

Steve LAO posted that in 2013 and he is long retired. When it gets tricky, it's always best to check with your assay office. They will be open tomorrow.
    Dennis.