Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite & least favorite part of metal smithing?

The novelty still hasn't worn off about any of the work I've been doing since starting again. I suppose I'd have to say that piercing still feels like coming home, radio on and I'm in my own little world.

Not quite an answer to the smithing question but my least favourite part about work is trying to cope with websites, facebook etc. I know I need to do it ( according to my sons I have to and they've promised to help ) but I'm struggling with it!

I love designing and developing new ideas but these mostly stay in my head as I am totally rubbish at sketching them out. I really enjoy piercing, and also hammering to camouflage soldering misadventures where the joints move just before the solder flows.

Today though I am hating filing the edges of my latest bangle to prepare for soldering. It's getting smaller by the minute as I try to get the edges flush.

My other pet hate is designing something that I think is original only to see something almost identical on a website or in a shop stating "original design by ....." so then I think if I go ahead and make mine it looks like I've copied someone else's idea :-(

I love piercing, but hate soldering, as I have a phobia of fire!

Quote Originally Posted by susieq View Post
    My other pet hate is designing something that I think is original only to see something almost identical on a website or in a shop stating "original design by ....." so then I think if I go ahead and make mine it looks like I've copied someone else's idea :-(
    ditto. I spent ages working on a collar design, got all the components together and then the cookies mag came through and sarah ho (I think) had dome something almost identical as a bangle. The air was blue!

I've had the same thing happen several times. One of my early pieces was an anticlastic bangle with gold hearts which I was amazed to find much later in a Jinks McGrath book. No-one would ever believe I had the idea first.

I've just spent months on a set of men's rings to sell on Notonthehighstreet, only to find, once I'd got them made and photographed that someone else is already doing something similar. It is a simple nut ring design though, so can't really be copy written. That's the trouble with Noths; everyone is copying each other but adding a slightly different slant.

I always try and research if someone has had the idea first. I have a fab idea for a piece I'm (slowly... in between writing!) working on. After the Ho disaster I've spent ages searching using all kinds of conceivable search terms and so far it's good to go.

Nut rings are pretty popular, but there is room for variety. I like this one:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/8556731...-iron-nut-ring
    but I really like his work anyway.

That's a lovely ring but it would never sell on Noths. It does stifle the imagination somewhat as none of the customers seem to like anything unusual. I do get a bit fed up with just making twee stuff, but it pays the bills.

Love designing and seeing the customer wear the item. Hate piercing and polishing, although radial discs are making the latter less tiresome.
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

heh, his work is a bit left field, I suppose. He is one of those designers whose work I wouldn't mind owning. There is something very collectable about it. But yeah, NOTHS wouldn't go for it, I guess although I was surprised to see so much of the lumpy press and fire PMC print stuff on there.

PMC goes like hot cakes, probably because it's cheap and quick to do and easy to personalise. I know that goes against everything I said to Pat, but Noths is different to selling at craft fairs. I can't sell personalised stuff at craft fairs for love nor money but it's snapped up on Noths. Crazy!