Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silver scrap

That is the look I wanted, organic and touchy feely. It didnt happen though, still I can have another go at it. Thanks for the advice people, that blog is interesting about the sharpie pen because my studio/spare bedroom is also very well lit and it is difficult to see when a piece is too hot, hence my habit of melting things. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Despite the discussion above, I have seen various bits and pieces from the scrap pot, placed in a circle, fluxed and melted into a ring.

With practice you can get near the size you want by drawing a circle of the right diameter on your block first. If they don't all join, you can add more to fill any gaps

The result is hard and brittle and organic looking, but would crack if hammered. I've no doubt that with a large torch you could make a bangle in this way too. Dennis.

Annealing is basically re-heating to a plasticising temperature and allowing to cool, it reforms linear structures in the metal rather than crystalline.

I've used it on engineering projects to try and get some "toughness" back into a tool after being "hardened" the same with glass, rapid cooling induces stresses into most things,high stress tends to promote high hardness but makes things very brittle.

A good example is the Prince Rupert Teardrop,

Glass is heated to its fluid temperature and then a drop is allowed to fall into a glass of chilled water. It will keep the teardrop shape (a little like a tadpole) and the "head" end will take a steel hammer blow without breaking, flicking the tail end with a finger nail will cause a stress crack to explode across the entire thing and it will burst like a small bomb.

With most metals it's possible to case harden (just have a hard wearing surface) and retain a more resistant, flexible core but it usually requires the addition of other elements (in the case of steels it would be the addition of carbon when the metal is at red heat).

best wishes

Dave

Thanks for the video, really interesting.

Stress and hardness are the big concern with airplanes - manufacturers put a plane in a jig and (for eg) flex the wings millions of times to simulate the wear in service then examine for stress fractures.

I've done some fusing - love doing it for what results when it goes well and of course you don't know quite what you are going to get. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ringssmall.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	4759
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I love the look of that, its beautiful. The only thing I have made with fused stuff is a slightly melted look where you can see the jump rings and bits that made it up. I work in my spare bedroom and would be a bit scared to do too much in that line as I dont want to set the house alight. The biggest torch I have is a B & Q propane/butane mix hand held replaceable cannister one, it would be hot enough but its a bit of a beast for use in a bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Stress and hardness are the big concern with airplanes - manufacturers put a plane in a jig and (for eg) flex the wings millions of times to simulate the wear in service then examine for stress fractures.

I've done some fusing - love doing it for what results when it goes well and of course you don't know quite what you are going to get. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ringssmall.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	4759

Oh, thank you <blush>
    That one (and a couple waiting to go to assay) are half fused and half D wire. I'm using up all my bits and bobs too!
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk