Thread: Sterling v Gold

Default Sterling v Gold

Hi everyone

I have been commissioned to make a wedding ring in sterling and was asked about the wearability versus gold. I didn't have the answer!
    Does anyone know the longevity of sterling v gold and how different carat qualities compare?
    Any advice would be gratefully received.
    Theresa

sterling Vs white gold? I'd go for sterling every time. White gold, in my opinion looks kind of cheap, though it might be harder wearing than sterling.

I have a 22ct gold wedding ring, second hand dated 1966 and it's worn pretty well, despite the high carat a bit better than some of the silver rings I have of a similar age which haven't been worn as much. I suppose it depends on what colour you want.

I would imagine silver will scratch pretty badly as is one of the softest alloys and don't think will last lifetime marriage worn constatnly. I do have white gold wedding band and with slight polish once a year looks pretty good after 8 years of everyday wear. My husby was a builder and for some reason his band looks even better than mine! Higher carat, harder gold will be and will withstand scratches better (to some point of course) Beside that is a matter of prefference I think

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

silver is, as pointed out softest of the metals and even a fall on concrete would scuff it. But, if it is thick enough, it will take the knocks. My work colleague has one in sterling, it is her preference and she has been married for 24 years. She didn't like the gold. ~She does get it plated every so often for an anniversary treat and is happy with that. I haven't had a close look - didn't want her to think I was touting for business or getting any ideas (gawd knows I have enough ideas, just building up the knowledge and skill base).

White gold has a yellow colouring unless it has a bit of palladium in it's mix or is rhodium plated. So even if it is white gold, it can look silver. Yellow gold doesn't take to plating well, I understand. Not tried it yet and have never really had the need to go plate something, I would rather shine it up and let nature take it's course with the natural aging process.. okay, cheat a little with some polishing now and again too.

There of course is titanium and the other metals, that will also give strength and longevity.

I like gold and silver metals. Silver is the easiest and most economical on one's budgets.

It will depend on the customer. I like both, but don't wear them next to each other as they will eventually end up damaging each other.

For making wedding rings I prefer 9ct white gold or 18ct yellow gold. The 9ct white is a lot whiter than the 18ct so doesn't need rhodium plating. 18ct yellow is just lovely and a much richer colour than 9ct yellow in my opinion. If you use a thick gauge of silver, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't last well.

Thank you everyone - a lot of food for thought here!
    I noticed she does have an 18ct engagement ring which is antique and quite thin. I was a bit concerned that the silver & gold would wear against each other.
    Still, at the end of the day it is their choice after weighing up the pros and cons.

Thanks again
    Theresa