Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are those sratches or just some sort residue streaks? HELP WITH FINAL POLISH PLEASE!

Default Are those sratches or just some sort residue streaks? HELP WITH FINAL POLISH PLEASE!

I know this may be duff question but I gave up now! My silver is never "mirror" polished no matter what I do. I start polishing with emery papers, tripoli, rouge or blue and then white luxi polishing compounds. I clean all pieces between switching to finer compound in hot water and washing up liquid. After I am done I place silver in ultrasonic cleaner, but pieces have some kind of streaks (?) everywhere? I know that last step should be steam cleaning (I wish I had a steamer) but tried boiling my jewellery and still nothing. I think after I ended up with even more scratches than when I have started

My question is... Are this some king of streaks or just scratches? What am I doing wrong?

It's really hard to capture those streaks on photo as can bee seen only at some angle. How is the jewellery bougt on high street so perfect?
    Alex

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_6050 modified.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	4721

From what I've read on here barrel tumbling but to be honest I'm learning as i go myself
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED

Just had a thought do you use a dremel type set up with a split mandrel to emery paper it? I noticed that when I did it left a weird uneven looking surface, I have brass brushed it after and it looked more uniform but am yet to final polish so I don't know if I will have the same problem
    Tasha
    X

I have barrel and I am no fan of it. At least not for a large flat pieces. Maybe I am doing it wrong too

Quote Originally Posted by Alexa View Post
    I have barrel and I am no fan of it. At least not for a large flat pieces. Maybe I am doing it wrong too
    Does it need a new home?? lol
    Tasha
    X

Quote Originally Posted by Truffle & Podge View Post
    Does it need a new home?? lol
    Haha! Didn't think about that as yet but I might... Will let you know first if it will look for new home.

Nice one! Cheers
    Tasha
    X

I might not be able to help much with the problem, but I can answer the question about the high street stuff - pretty much all of it is silver plated over sterling. It lets the mass producers get away with far less finishing and gives a very perfect look (for a while anyway).

I use a magnetic polisher as one of my early stages in finishing, and find it gives me a much cleaner surface (slightly matte) to polish.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I might not be able to help much with the problem, but I can answer the question about the high street stuff - pretty much all of it is silver plated over sterling. It lets the mass producers get away with far less finishing and gives a very perfect look (for a while anyway).

I use a magnetic polisher as one of my early stages in finishing, and find it gives me a much cleaner surface (slightly matte) to polish.
    ooh magnetic polisher, what's that?
    Tasha
    X

Thanks George for solving mystery of High Street jewellery at least So there may be nothing wrong I'm doing cause I can't think of anything else could be done (beside plating now).
    What shot/compound are you using in you magnetic polisher?