Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are those sratches or just some sort residue streaks? HELP WITH FINAL POLISH PLEASE!

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    Oooh, what did he say about the ultrasonics? I missed the podcast and I'm almost certain my stuff is perfectly polished when it goes into the ultrasonic, but then it comes out with weird white streaks/marbling on it. Baffled.
    What solution are you using in your ultrasonic?

I've tried Seaclean and regular ammonia cleaning fluid from Walsh. Jeweller I met last week uses plain washing up liquid and gets the same problem.

What should I be using?

Andrew mentioned using less solution may reduce this effect. I found that changing water every time gives better results. I have used Seaclean and washing up liquid too but have not tried very diluted mixture yet. At least I am not alone with this problem...

Don't suppose the eraser worked
    X
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED

Quote Originally Posted by Truffle & Podge View Post
    Don't suppose the eraser worked
    X
    Haha still didn't find any eraser! My 2 year old had a habbit of eating them some time ago so we got rid of all erasers at home. Now need to buy one :P

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Alexa View Post
    Andrew mentioned using less solution may reduce this effect. I found that changing water every time gives better results. I have used Seaclean and washing up liquid too but have not tried very diluted mixture yet. At least I am not alone with this problem...
    I use Blitz concentrate. FAB, streak free and I have been using it for over six years. Love the stuff. Concentrate is watered down, in either my sonic or just in an old pump spray to clean of residue. It just does not streak.

Where would I get Blitz from Wallace? Sounds perfect!

I've never really understood the difference in finish between a magnetic polisher and a tumbler. Is the finish better with a magnetic polisher?

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    Where would I get Blitz from Wallace? Sounds perfect!
    I get mine from here, it is difficult to get hold of the stuff anywhere else. Additionally, It is none toxic; so a bonus. Heated water improves the clean,

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I've never really understood the difference in finish between a magnetic polisher and a tumbler. Is the finish better with a magnetic polisher?
    The mags all vary in size, but are consistent with a very fine marks as the steel pins 'tickle' the surface of the metal. Small round bearings may burnish, but I haven't been able to use any with my little bumblebee, which can only take 20 MIS of spinning the magnets before it starts to get dizzy and need a rest! I will invest in a more Sturdy model later as the finish is quite pleasant. My latest entry into the monthly comp was given a mag finish, rather than my normal high shine. The metal has an almost white silver look. Will need a final buff if you want that shine though.

Barrel polishing is the full on burnishing. Metal comes out all shiny any with very little to do. I use it for cleaning older tarnished pieces or batches of jump rings, chains etc. Also takes the sharpness off handmade ear wires too. Needs no more than a buff with a cloth if you use the right burnishing soap. Different soaps can affect the finish as some are designed with a little abrasive compound in the mix. Burnishing compound for a burnishing finish. Or a little fairy liquid if you run out. I do mean a little
    Last edited by Wallace; 21-05-2013 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Had to edit my mischievous iPads rewording

I use a barrel polisher and a dremel flexi-fella. If I get those marks (and it happens a fair bit) it is only from hand-polishing. I tend to then emery paper it back, and re-polish using as spare amount of polish as possible. It's a pain. I find it happens a lot less with new polishing points too.