Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are those sratches or just some sort residue streaks? HELP WITH FINAL POLISH PLEASE!

I just use very fine pins (0.4mm x 5mm) and a few drops of brightening fluid. I often do no more finishing than that other than a quick rub over with a polishing cloth as I like the slightly satin finish I get. If I need more, I tend to work through a set of radial discs to get a bit more shine.

Dont forget Andrew Berry's podcast is on tomorrow afternoon and its on polishing.

Hmm... So are you telling me I have wasted 2h of my life by pulling out fine pins from my shot? I thought that these are responsible for matte finish on pieces?

@ Patstone where Andrew's podcast can be seen? Sorry, I am new to this forum

Don't worry Alexa! These pins are much, much, much smaller and finer than the ones in the mixed shot. I've found that most mixes contain pins that are pretty sharp and damaging, though the one from Rio is much better - with lovely smooth, soft pointed pin ends that don't seem to leave any marks at all on even quite large pieces. The ones for the mag polisher are tiny - like these: http://www.manchesterminerals.co.uk/...er-94_091.html

You are a star George! Thank you very much for all your answers! I will def have a look at Rio shot as you are totally right about sharp pins in most shots. Just hope I could afford magnetic tumbler one day

Andrew Berrys podcast is at http://www.anymeeting.com/atthebench1

I find that on my flat pieces as well sometimes. I think it's the alloy itself and nothing to do with polishing.

A magnetic polisher doesn't have to be expensive at all - in fact, you can get one for less than a decent tumbler.

This one http://www.technicalsupermarket.com/...id,0/Itemid,4/ does the job just fine - though I don't like the pins that come with it and prefer the ones from Manchester Minerals. I have a couple of them and I've always been very happy with them.

I got there a bit late on the podcast. Did Andrew suggest anything ? I know he addressed it from when you get it from ultra sonic cleaners but not from when it's nothing to do with that X
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED

Quote Originally Posted by Truffle & Podge View Post
    I got there a bit late on the podcast. Did Andrew suggest anything ? I know he addressed it from when you get it from ultra sonic cleaners but not from when it's nothing to do with that X
    Oooh, what did he say about the ultrasonics? I missed the podcast and I'm almost certain my stuff is perfectly polished when it goes into the ultrasonic, but then it comes out with weird white streaks/marbling on it. Baffled.