Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The perils of customers' own measurements

Default The perils of customers' own measurements

Last month, I made a ring for someone. Gave them a multisizer, they came back to me with a size and a spec. No problem. Delivered in plenty of time for the birthday; the receipient was delighted with it. She put it on and wore it for a night out on the town. You know where this is going... Small hours of the morning and her finger was turning a funny colour; cue a trip to A&E to get it cut off.

I've got back a twisted bit of metal - *thankfully* they didn't cut across the engraving as that would have been more of a pest. It's been rounded up, cut square to remove the sheared section and I've soldered a bridge piece in. Used loads of Argotect to save some time later; now it needs rounding up properly, polishing and I need to set a couple of stones back into it (they popped out when the ring was twisted).

It's now 3 sizes larger.

Those multisizers are a pain Peter. I never use them because they flex around the finger and give a false reading. I get about 10 online orders a week for rings and am always amazed by how few of them come back for resizing. They're usually from people buying as gifts for someone else, so how do so many people know the right size?

Well, Carole probably makes more rings than any of us, but:

For peace of mind when making rings at a distance, I would send out two or three sizes in brass, using the width and profile intended. once the size is clearly established it's full steam ahead. Dennis.

They're not my favourite way of sorting a ring size, certainly; but they're cheap enough to give away as opposed to my lending out one of my sizing sets. The idea of sending out brass blanks is good, but that's cost that needs to be added on to the finished item (and this was price-sensitive - another "for a friend" job!).

I am cheeky monkey with ring sizing When I have to give to customer multisizer I ALLWAYS make ring at least half size bigger. If it would be wide ring I go ever whole size up. Believe me, sold quite few rings and nobody ever complained I asked some friends to tell me their size using multisizer, then I measured their size and 4 out of 5 got it wrong. People don't think that ring won't change it's shape lage this piece of plastic.

When making rings in gold, I always make the basic ring and send it to the customer or get them to come to my studio to try it on before adding settings etc. If all else fails, I ask them to send me a ring that fits.

Most of my rings though are very simple silver rings with a gold heart or flower and as I do so many it's not a problem to either make another or stretch it.

Shame they don't make drill gauges a lot bigger they will either get it right or have to have 5mm thick stainless plate cut off of their fingers

best wishes

Dave

If you want to try something even more unpredictable than the multisizer get the customer to measure there finger using a ring sizing app on a smart phone. But that been said you can put a ring that fits on the screen and size it until its the same size as the 'dot' on the screen this seems to give a better result but still open to operator error !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05835.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	4796Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05836.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	4797

I've downloaded a ring sizer app and from measuring my own ring, it seems quite accurate. I'm going to measure my stock of rings and see how good it is. Thanks for pointing it out Josef. Amazeballs!

can you say where the app is or what it's called caroleallen.
    I've just fallen victim to someone's knuckles...
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk