Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The perils of customers' own measurements

I've had so many rings ordered in the wrong size this Christmas. It's driving me mad. I do charge for resizing personalised rings though, so I don't actually lose money on them. Those online ring sizers where you put the ring over the circle are fairly accurate, I think, but people still get the size wrong by several sizes - S to M (6 sizes) was the worst!

For wedding and engagement rings, I normally make a ring the right width in silver and use that to size the gold ring. They then get the silver ring as a bonus. I always say it's important that they wear the silver ring for a few days to make sure it's comfortable. If it's wrong then, it's their fault.

Ah thanks - capital L works.
    Good job the error was way out or it may go unnoticed.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Michelle, I find the calculator above - http://mordent.com/toolsapps/ - pretty accurate. By the sound of it, you're adding too much for the width of the ring though.

Wallace's spreadsheet (which you can download from her post #21) is excellent though, and probably the quickest resource.
    Hi mizgeorge

I did try the app yesterday and that came up with for a uk O as 78.58mm, which i though was strange as i did cut 62.74 mm length and 5mm wide that made between a S and T on the ring mandrel so was even more Lol.

Yes i did print out the chart on post 21 yesterday as well, O is 58.4mm in 1mm thick so maybe try that as that will be not adding anything for width ?

Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The stress is bad for your health. It does not help you finances either to re-make rings. So yes, make some brass rings to send out.

Making rings to a size is actually not difficult if you can get yourself an upright ring stretcher. Then you make your rings about a size too small and gently stretch them until your ring stick tells you that you have arrived. They will have been made round and work hardened at the same time.

It also helps to have a ring bending tool. Much better than pliers and your life will be changed:
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/10990252...21&ga_includes[0]=tag
    Hi Dennis
    Lol yes I'm sure some stress may be good for you just not loads . more the Finances i think is worse lol , Going to have to add the tools to my wish list for birthday i think , looks good though I brought a simple ring stretcher from ebay a while ago i couldn't even fit the ring on to it, as the ring was to small and didn't even go that small lol .

So yes the up right one looks good , the the ring bending tool looks good too , although i do have a similar tool nylon though for bending rings, but cant say i have used it as so use to my rawhide and ring mandrel .

Michelle xxx

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I've had so many rings ordered in the wrong size this Christmas. It's driving me mad. I do charge for resizing personalised rings though, so I don't actually lose money on them. Those online ring sizers where you put the ring over the circle are fairly accurate, I think, but people still get the size wrong by several sizes - S to M (6 sizes) was the worst!

For wedding and engagement rings, I normally make a ring the right width in silver and use that to size the gold ring. They then get the silver ring as a bonus. I always say it's important that they wear the silver ring for a few days to make sure it's comfortable. If it's wrong then, it's their fault.
    Omg 6 sizes WoW Caroleallen ,
    Hmmmm ok will have to remind myself to charge for resizing then . x

Quote Originally Posted by michelle dolby View Post
    Hi mizgeorge

I did try the app yesterday and that came up with for a uk O as 78.58mm, which i though was strange as i did cut 62.74 mm length and 5mm wide that made between a S and T on the ring mandrel so was even more Lol.

Yes i did print out the chart on post 21 yesterday as well, O is 58.4mm in 1mm thick so maybe try that as that will be not adding anything for width ?

Michelle
    I suspect you might have forgotten to change the thickness to mm rather than gauge? That would give the wrong result you quoted, rather than the right one!

The table gives a salutary lesson in how much you need to increase the size for a wider ring. I don't measure out lengths though.

What I do is to turn the end of my stock into a ring, using the bending tool. Then push the ring along my ring stick until it reads just 1-1½ sizes too small, mark it, cut it and solder. The ring is then stretched to size and this is the only part demanding accuracy.

Just another way for a caddish amateur like me to avoid learning basic skills.

Also most of my rings are either textured, or made from specially drawn wire. So the last thing I want, is to beat the hell out of it with a hammer. Dennis.

Wallace, is that Pdf document still available? I would really appreciate a copy, but attachment 4863 doesn't open for me.
    A more general question. As far as ring sticks and ring gauges go, is Wheatsheaf really the only type that can be relied on? I recently bought cheaper non-branded ones, and they were so inaccurately made as to be useless.
    Last edited by Aurarius; 02-03-2014 at 03:04 PM.

Insofar as getting customers ring size right if I can't actually get to them to measure then I generally advise they get their ring size professionally measured at a local jewellers, if they are even a little unsure at to their size.

I then photograph the finished ring on the sizing stick to show them it is the size they ordered.

The only resizing issues I've had with this method have been gifts for others, and I generally collaborate with the buyer to resize for free if it's wildly out, as long as they cover return postage.

It's worth getting quality measuring tools, the money you spend on a good steel size gauge and wheatsheaf is saved on lots of faffing later!

I've just sized down an Argentium ring where I was told it was a K, could I size it to J1/2. My stick claims it was a K1/2...