Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The perils of customers' own measurements

Hi
    I find it a nightmare to measure rings, i send out sizer's as well but sometimes find myself making two of the same ring as one is wrong size, which can be time consuming and a waste of money , I have chart which shows say O uk size 54.74mm but was told should add 2mm to chart as sheet may be a little out, then add thickness of the wire or sheet, and what width the ring will be, So i make that 62.74mm as the ring needs to be 5mm wide band, 1mm thick and size O . I have made the ring and it is between a S and T on my metal ring mandrel , is there a simple code to stick to that can be used for making all rings in silver sheet or wire

Quote Originally Posted by michelle dolby View Post
    Hi Is there a simple code to stick to that can be used for making all rings in silver sheet or wire
    No Michelle, there is not. The way a ring of the same nominal size feels on the finger depends on the width of the band and on the internal shape. That is whether the edges are beveled or straight.

In the first instance the customer could have their finger sized by a local jeweller perhaps, or send you a pattern made of card, string or wire.

After that the best you can do (if you have read the above thread) is to send out rings made of rigid brass, say in three sizes for the distant customer to try, using your intended width and contour. If they approve one, then copy it faithfully. Dennis.

Hi Dennis
    Its Such a pain sometimes , would i need to make the brass rings or would they already be made, well i had a bit of a bad experience with jeweler as a customer had been sized in the shop , I made the ring posted off correct size to what they asked and it didn't fit, It was to small so she brought it back lucky she worked in my area, I tried to stretch it but couldn't so had to give it a hammered effect , i sized her finger two sizes bigger then the jeweler, did not good , although the hammer effect did work and i had a very happy customer who i didn't charge any more for my stress lol .

I just though there might be correct amount of length of sheet to cut , then if i had to add mm to it for thickness and width on a straight edge band

Michelle, I find the calculator above - http://mordent.com/toolsapps/ - pretty accurate. By the sound of it, you're adding too much for the width of the ring though.

Wallace's spreadsheet (which you can download from her post #21) is excellent though, and probably the quickest resource.

The stress is bad for your health. It does not help you finances either to re-make rings. So yes, make some brass rings to send out.

Making rings to a size is actually not difficult if you can get yourself an upright ring stretcher. Then you make your rings about a size too small and gently stretch them until your ring stick tells you that you have arrived. They will have been made round and work hardened at the same time.

It also helps to have a ring bending tool. Much better than pliers and your life will be changed:
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/10990252...21&ga_includes[0]=tag
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails r Upright Ring Stretcher.jpg  

Default odd result

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Michelle, I find the calculator above - http://mordent.com/toolsapps/ - pretty accurate. By the sound of it, you're adding too much for the width of the ring though.

Wallace's spreadsheet (which you can download from her post #21) is excellent though, and probably the quickest resource.
    I tried, entering size L Uk, 1.5mm thick and 9mm wide and I got an output of 98.46!!!
    Could someone else try please - I'm wondering if it's a pecularity of my browser or something - strange.

Did you change it to uk size rather than us size?

yes, I just tried with US and got the result NaN???

You need to use upper case letters or it all goes a bit Pete Tong. This looks about right to me - I'm sometimes surprised by how large a wider band needs to be.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ring-size.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	5560

Quote Originally Posted by trialuser View Post
    yes, I just tried with US and got the result NaN???
    Stands for Not a Number