Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The perils of customers' own measurements

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    My plan was to borrow Sams ring sizers and transer the ring to the mandrel with a pencil mark to ensure right size. I have a ring mandrel with sizes on but never used it as I am not sure how accurate it is. Which ring sizers make is the most accurate, not really sure how accurate Sams are either.
    A little while ago, I did a conversion for working out lengths and thickness for making rings. anyone can to use it (pm if you want the excel version).

Hopefully, I have done it correctly and managed to attach it as the pdf!

kindest
    W
    Last edited by Wallace; 19-06-2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: checking - yup, there it is.

Wow, that's amazing Wallace. Thanks very much. I shall certainly print that out and use it. Must have taken you ages.

Fab resource Wallace - perhaps someone could move it to the sticky place with useful tables (though I know many of the links there are now broken).

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Wow, that's amazing Wallace. Thanks very much. I shall certainly print that out and use it. Must have taken you ages.
    Thank you Carole, it took one whole Sunday, I think it was around the time when my cat Tesla, then just a kitten had chewed through the lead to my micro motor lead, the curly kind and a few other things like son's keyboard oh, the list went on... saved my brain and the kitty!

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Fab resource Wallace - perhaps someone could move it to the sticky place with useful tables (though I know many of the links there are now broken).
    Thank you and what a great idea G.....oh, perhaps we could all restart some links and useful or needful things?

Attachment 4863 - Tesla, can't ever stay mad at her, she is too cute and makes noises like a Tribble.
    Last edited by Wallace; 19-06-2013 at 01:39 PM. Reason: added the troublemaker!

Thanks Wallace, what a good idea. Presumably the horizontal lines are the width of the metal, not the thickness. I have already copied and printed it. Thanks again X

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Thanks Wallace, what a good idea. Presumably the horizontal lines are the width of the metal, not the thickness. I have already copied and printed it. Thanks again X
    thanks Pat.
    The horizontal lines are the length of the metal. At the very top is the thickness of the metal. The width is entirely up to you.

Thanks Wallace, have saved and will be putting it to good use.

Carrole - I tried your link out, put ring size J UK 2mm thick and 3mm width and it calculated a ring blank of 95.03mm! I only use 185mm for a bangle. Can't be right - but I can't fathom out what I'm doing wrong.

I think you have to type the ring size in upper case Susie

this is really interesting. I send out the plastic belt sizers, and ask that people measure at least three times over two days. I haven't had any rings come back yet - I always advise going up a size for wide rings (if folk know their size already). My main problem is if measuring in the studio, it is usually so cold I have to remember to add half a size!