Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wanted durston rolling mill

Default wanted durston rolling mill

anyone selling a durston rolling mill please? ta

Hi,

Have you found a mini mill? I have a 80mm durston mini mill to sell, unused in box (i'm in North Yorkshire) originally purchased from Bairds in Glasgow.
    Thanks,

Emma

Hi Emma, what have you got to sell, I cant afford a big durston one and I just want to make patterns etc in silver sheet sort of ring size. How much do you want for it and can you send pics please. Why didnt you use it, does anyone have experience with this type of mill, and is it suitable for the purpose that I want it for, and would I be able to turn the handle, not a weakling but......................
    Pat
    Last edited by Patstone; 09-11-2013 at 08:23 AM.

If it's the model I think it is, do remember they are around £450 new.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I have the 80 mini-mill. http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-AXU

it is great for rolling out flat stock from my recycled scrap silver; rolling a sheet thinner, or with a textured medium; making square and D shape wires. (I miss my round wire forming rolling mill, but you can get different end rollers, I believe). It is fairly easy to operate, once it is screwed down onto a solid base. Metal needs annealing, as the rolling process hardens the metal quite quickly and you will end up with cracks in your metal if you don't. I cannot work the gauge out, so have some of those metal gauge things you get for spark plugs and I don't have any probs. Wouldn't be without it, huge benefits in the workshop when working with flat stock.
    Last edited by Wallace; 09-11-2013 at 03:03 PM.

I have a Durston D2 mill, and I think they are magnificent, although I have retired now I think my Durstons will be one of the last workshop tools I shall dispose of. I like the fact that scrap metals can easily be melted and milled into workable sheets and wires.

James

I have a geared DRM130 - I might be tempted to go up to a D2 or D4 at some point primarily for rolling out (larger) mokume sheet. There are times the size of mine is a bit limited for that.

no...very interested. cheers

Hi,

I used to make jewellery as a hobby and sold things on a small scale. I attended classes in Glasgow where I had access to a mill, but when I moved I decided to purchase one as the small town I moved to didn't offer the same opportunity for classes. Unfortunately my mum was diagnosed with a terminal illness, then I had a child and I haven't had the opportunity to continue. The mill is sitting unused and could be of use to someone else. I was hoping to get around £375.00 for it (ono), collection for preference. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them here. Thanks, Emma

Hi I think you are being a bit optimistic on the price as Cooksons have one in the sale for £381 I think, not sure its the same one though. At that price it would be out of my price range, but thanks anyway. Not quite sure what I would use it for, I have to do jewellery in my spare bedroom so melting silver into crucibles etc is out of the question, so I guess it would just be for putting a pattern on silver, or flattening wire. Sorry to have raised your hopes, and thank you for coming back to me.