Thread: handwriting jewelry, does anyone know how to make them?

Default handwriting jewelry, does anyone know how to make them?

I have fallen in love with handwriting jewelry! the idea of being able to wear your loved ones handwriting all the time, I just love it!

Does anyone know how to or know of any tutorials or books (I don't care if they cost money I'll buy them) on how to make them?

I see that they make them from a photo or a scan of someones handwriting but I don't understand how to get it onto the clay.. I'm assuming they use PMC or something similar .

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Angie

Hi Angie,

It's more tedious than difficult. You get the person to give you a choice of about three signatures, or sneak them off a letter. If you need to adjust the size you can do that on a photocopier.

Then using round wire, somewhere between 0.7 and 0.9mm diameter, you make segments of letters and slowly solder them together checkinbg with the signature. Don't use too fierce a flame or all the bits will jump together and fuse in a pile. However you can use hard solder throughout, because solder once used will require a higher temperature to re-melt it. Once the signature is complete, jump rings or fixings are added with easy solder.

For the moment I can only find this book- mark, but I have done lots. I suggest you practice with copper wire at first. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bo.Bookmark Detail.jpg  

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

doh, I thought that it was about etching into to the clay, and was going to raise the old battery and salt water version! Long day and focus is on my voluntary redundancy! Oh, need to think a bit more clearly!

Sorry folks, Wallace is right and I was daft for answering the wrong question. If it's for clay, you could reverse the image and make a stamp.

I don't do clay but this link might lead to some ideas: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=St...ient=firefox-a
    Last edited by Dennis; 03-05-2013 at 04:23 AM.

Hi and thank you for your replies. Yes I do believe it is done in clay. My question is how do you make a stamp of that exact handwriting or picture to stamp it into the clay? That part baffles me

oops sorry silly me jsut saw the link that you posted Dennis.. I'll check it out

Quote Originally Posted by 4ngi3 View Post
    Hi and thank you for your replies. Yes I do believe it is done in clay. My question is how do you make a stamp of that exact handwriting or picture to stamp it into the clay? That part baffles me
    Hiya,

You make stamps of your chosen image using the photopolymer plate technique. Cooksons sells all the bits you need as that's where I bought them after falling in love with the same idea.

I haven't tried it yet so can't speak for the results. Youtube is brilliant for support tutorials on how to do it.

1. You would scan a copy of the signature into a paint program on your computer, tidy it up and sharpen the image, ensuring a high contrast.
    3. You print the image off in reverse (so that the end stamp prints the right way round).
    4. Your printed image gets added to the black sheet of paper and processed under the UV light
    5. This image (the black square with your handwritten image in clear) gets added to the gel block that makes up the stamp.
    6. This gets sandwiched between glass plates and put back under the UV light to process.
    7. The resulting stamp can be used in your precious metal clay!

That's the gist of it. Enjoy!

Kx