Thread: tips for making cones

Default tips for making cones

hello! I was hoping someone could give me advice on making small cone shapes out of sheet silver. Is there a special mandrel to shape it over? Do you do the same as for paper (start with a circle)? I've had a few attempts in the past, but it's never been very successful...

I look forward to hearing from you, cheers!

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by madsally View Post
    hello! I was hoping someone could give me advice on making small cone shapes out of sheet silver. Is there a special mandrel to shape it over? Do you do the same as for paper (start with a circle)? I've had a few attempts in the past, but it's never been very successful...

I look forward to hearing from you, cheers!
    have a look at Nancy LT Hamilton's video... the principle and application is sound and you can adapt this to any size cone. And you will have fun laughing with her too.

Well I watched Nancy, but I would just make a disk from paper, cut out a wedge and then form the cone to the shape and size I want, letting the paper overlap.

When it seems right I would glue it, cut it through, flatten it and use it as the first template for soft metal such as annealed copper. A good thickness is about 0.35-0.4mm according to size of cone.

It helps to snip a tiny bit off the apex before annealing and bringing the edges together. For a shape to form it around you can use one beak of round pliers, a sharpened pencil or other pointy object around the house. Sometimes it is enough just to make sure the base is round by inserting the head of a doming punch.

Once the copper cone is as you want it, cut it through , flatten it and use this as the final template for your silver. If not to be subjected to hard bumps I would use fine silver, which is easy to form when annealed.

Below are some cone earrings, where I left the overlap as a design feature. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cone Earrings.jpg  

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Well I watched Nancy, but I would just make a disk from paper, cut out a wedge and then form the cone to the shape and size I want, letting the paper overlap.

When it seems right I would glue it, cut it through, flatten it and use it as the first template for soft metal such as annealed copper. A good thickness is about 0.35-0.4mm according to size of cone.

It helps to snip a tiny bit off the apex before annealing and bringing the edges together. For a shape to form it around you can use one beak of round pliers, a sharpened pencil or other pointy object around the house. Sometimes it is enough just to make sure the base is round by inserting the head of a doming punch.

Once the copper cone is as you want it, cut it through , flatten it and use this as the final template for your silver. If not to be subjected to hard bumps I would use fine silver, which is easy to form when annealed.

Below are some cone earrings, where I left the overlap as a design feature. Dennis.
    isn't that the beauty of a forum, wonderful pieces by some forum members and a variety of advice from a variety of peeps too. Lovely cones Dennis.

kindest,
    Wallace

Thanks so much for your advice, your method makes a lot of sense. I'll be having a go this week!

The earrings are lovely, too!