Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Making drawbenches

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Carole, I'd strongly advise against the bosch stand in the link.
    I have a similar dewalt one, and whilst it is brilliant for holding my saw, it is virtually useless for anything else. It is unnecessarily expensive as a simple bench. They are designed and made to do one thing very well.
    It strikes me that the purpose of the bench is to support and separate the two business ends of the drawbench. If you had two opposing work areas or surfaces, say 6 feet apart, you could do away with a stand and just clamp or bolt the winch and drawplate holder to the opposing benches, I suppose a length of mdf or something across the gap when in use would catch the tongs when the wire was pulled out of the die. Just thinking aloud really, I don't know your setup but I can visualise that arrangement working with what I have here.

Thanks for all the advice. Although I'd love to be able to cobble one together myself, I'm so short of time these days. I'll probably regret it but in the end I went with this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/WIRE-DRAW-BE...-/400528773915

I liked it because it's light and small enough to be hung on the wall. I'll let you know if its any good.

Interesting, I see they've used aluminium. Lower density and easier to cut and drill (although tends not to respond well to angle grinders).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-Alumin...-/230757533940 - might be thick enough.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I liked it because it's light and small enough to be hung on the wall. I'll let you know if its any good.
    It looks like a really good buy, Carole. When it arrives, you will have to decide how to fix it for use. A single bench vice might not hold it firmly enough or be too tall.

You will have noted that Peter has used a folding workbench to mount his, presumably as in this link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nk...rkbench&ff19=0

The draw bench could be screwed or bolted near to one edge and the whole thing folded, and hung up, or leaned against a wall. Some of the middle priced ones look good and sturdy.

Whatever, this will change your life, because you can draw any kind of wire from only round or square stock. Dennis.

I'm hoping I can bolt it to a bench in my studio when I need to use it. It won't be used all the time.