Thread: 18ct white gold - polishing

Default 18ct white gold - polishing

Morning all,

Finally got my 18ct white gold strip, and its in need of a bit of smoothing out and polishing. and as i am not planning on soldering it i thought i would do this before i shape it.

Ive been looking on the web, and as per usual the advice is far and few between.

The white gold, is as expected a tad yellow, and was wondering if it was possible to get it to the white/silver colour, or is the only way to do this is by getting it dipped.

I need to do a bit of sanding, and then want to get it nice and shiney, for my silver i normally use the pads which contain the cleaning agent and then polish them up by hand, and with the polishing heads for my drill.

But i cant find anything apart from home remodies such as toothpaste, to clean up the white gold...

Any tips?

Cheers guys

Any standard polishing compounds on rotating polishing mops will do, 18ct white gold will polish to a slightly grey stainless steel colour. If you want the similar white colour as on polished silver then you will need to get the finished article polished and rhodium plated. In some cases when customers want a white colour, platers even silver plate first then repolish before finally rhodium plating.

James

thank you for your help