Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PMC and Enamel...Enamel and PMC???

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

I think I'll have to think it out again.

Thanks for all your suggestions Nic. But I have to be able to make a profit on these things - and when once they have taken their cut I have to be able to justify the number of hours spent making them. I can't have anything that takes too long in construction as the time is more expensive than the silver!! (I don't work big in case you hadn't guessed!!)

I'm thinking that I might do just one enamel tile and use it remotely connected to groups of the other 3. That way if I bungle it I do only lose the one piece of pmc...and I was only planning on having the enamel as a highlight not a 'raison d'etre' for the entire range. I've just been having a play with this idea and have it drying while I get some lunch. I'll see if I can get it tidied up and fired at some point over the week end and see how it looks.

I'm nothing if not flexible!!

I'll keep you posted!

What about blackening some of the tiles? That can look historically sympathetic.

It did cross my mind Lindyloo but it isn't my favourite finish. Added to which, my whole business is based on the fact that fine silver hardly tarnishes - and as I work almost exclusively in fine silver...with just a smidgen of Argentium - having pieces that look tarnished...even if it is deliberate and purely for aesthetic reasons - does rather go against my 'unique selling point'!! ().

I won't dismiss the idea entirely though....I could have it uniquely - just for that range!!. ....needs musts and all that!!

If it were me, I'd make the entire piece then enamel it. It's hard to go wrong with enamel on PMC or fine silver unless you over-fire it but I'm sure that won't happen. The beauty of PMC is that you won't get firescale so you can enamel straight onto it instead of having to think about making the piece and setting it. You probably should use enamelling solder or at least hard solder to join it though as anything else will run and may spoil the piece. I'd avoid riveting on a piece that's enamelled unless you can get the rivets a fair distance from the enamel as it's very likely to crack, particularly as the PMC is so soft. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    If it were me, I'd make the entire piece then enamel it. It's hard to go wrong with enamel on PMC or fine silver unless you over-fire it but I'm sure that won't happen. The beauty of PMC is that you won't get firescale so you can enamel straight onto it instead of having to think about making the piece and setting it.
    I know...isn't fine silver fantastic...I'm so in love with it!!! I go all goose pimply just thinking about it!!

....no...no...of course I wouldn't overfire it... the mere suggestion of it!!...hahahahahahaha

Well - over the last 8 hours or so I have done a complete turn around with my design idea and I have just finished a trial piece which I am so pleased with! ...I can't tell you how excited I am now I've seen it come to life!

Give me a few minutes and I'll get a piccie up but don't expect it to be very good. It will be taken by the kitchen fluorescent strip light ....what??...you mean that isn't standard professional photographers' lighting preference??? Well I never!!

*waits patiently for piccie*
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

So - I decided to do just one tile with enamelled bits...and of course chose the easiest! And then I decided to forget about all this business of how to get it attached to a backplate with all the others...I decided to attach it 'remotely' and join it with jump rings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finished np trial.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	90

(Sorry - the picture is a bit wonky and out of focus!!)

Now I've seen how easy it is to enamel this particular patterned tile I and how well the other ones are coming out I think I will try my original idea as well - joining the tiles to the backplate while the pmc is still fleible ...drying ...firing ...and then enamelling.

The designs are supposed to resemble medieaval tiles so I want the overall style to be a bit 'olde worlde' as well!

I have done another bit of pmc and enamelling today as well. It is part of a commission that I have to have done for next week end - and that has gone very well too! So I shall go to bed a happy girlie tonight!!

(P.S.
    Thank you Di for this advice found in another thread this morning (Workshop Photographs) which has allowed me to make this post look so much less pretentious! I thought I had tried every possible way of attaching a photo...never noticed that tiny paperclip...DERRR!!. I'm sorry this all looks a little confusing on the post but I wanted to cite where the info had come from!)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bustagasket

*noted that yet another person can do that thumbnail thingy that i cant do *sulks*

Are you using the 'attach' icon, Su'? Top line above the broken link icon

Last edited by Solunar Silver Studio; 23-08-2009 at 07:07 AM. Reason: trying to get the photo as a thumbnail attachment

Yay! THAT is one GORGEOUS pendant!!!
    Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

it was worth waiting for hun, its brilliant well done!!! I love the blue enamels, mind you i love blues and purples lol
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Why - thank ee!! All in a days work you know!! (Who am I trying to kid?!)
    Yes - I was rather pleased with that colour. All of my enamels are really ancient. (I'm making up an order with a friend over the week end for some new ones.) But that one had 'Kingfisher Blue' on the pot and it really is lovely! There is no doubt about it...transparent blues and greens work really well. Reds are a total nightmare!!
    The other enamel I used today was matt black! This commission really is an odd one. I'll tell you all about it next Monday. I need to make sure the receiver of the goodies is the first one to see them - not last after you lot!!