Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hydraulic forming presses in Europe?

Using some back-of-envelope calcs for the amount of steel needed, I'm not coming anywhere near the £50 mark, and that's before cutting. Dave - any input? I'm looking at Parkers pricing on about 0.45m^2 of suitable hot-rolled per press.

A Potter USA-style press would definitely be the most efficient design - fewer parts, less welding and much better looks (I think).
    If it costs you less than £50 for the steel, that sounds good.
    Sorry, I don't know where the cheapest steel sheet can be bought. Hot-rolled steel would be better than just steel - denser and better finish. Potter's presses use 2 cm thick steel.
    I guess you could create a drawing in Corel Draw (or Illustrator, or Inkscape) - 2D drawings should be all that are needed to create a file for a laser cutter.
    Just a suggestion, the platens could be bought in as 18mm x 150 mm x 150 mm planishing blocks (I bought 2 from Cousins UK for £19 each). These are hardened steel and have polished faces - ideal for use as platens. As with Potter, these could be held in position with a few neodymium magnets.
    If you make it Bonny Doon tool-compatible, that would be great! :-)

Edit: Oh yeah...no need to paint it. Potter's cheapest self-assembly model comes unpainted.

Further edit: See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j2qwZOm-8o for details of Potter's construction.
    Last edited by Dave Willis; 09-07-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Willis View Post
    A Potter USA-style press would definitely be the most efficient design - fewer parts, less welding and much better looks (I think).
    If it costs you less than £50 for the steel, that sounds good.
    Ah. No, I was referring to the claim of it being £50 of laser cut steel and I can't get that low.

Sorry, I don't know where the cheapest steel sheet can be bought. Hot-rolled steel would be better than just steel - denser and better finish. Potter's presses use 2 cm thick steel.
    *Pretty* sure he's using 1/2".

I guess you could create a drawing in Corel Draw (or Illustrator, or Inkscape) - 2D drawings should be all that are needed to create a file for a laser cutter.
    ...But a 3d model would give me the lazy option on finite element analysis...

Just a suggestion, the platens could be bought in as 18mm x 150 mm x 150 mm planishing blocks (I bought 2 from Cousins UK for £19 each). These are hardened steel and have polished faces - ideal for use as platens. As with Potter, these could be held in position with a few neodymium magnets.
    If you make it Bonny Doon tool-compatible, that would be great! :-)
    Hmm. Not sure I'll be buying them from Cousins somehow... Also, I don't actually want hardened steel used - more mass is fine, but hardened means a) another process and b) possible risk of fracture.

Sounds like you know a lot more about materials science than I do (heck, I'm just a tech author). :-)

I was fairly sure that Potter says in a video that he's using 2 cm plate, but I did a bit of digging and it looks like he is using 1/2" plate after all. That puts up the cost. He says in one video that the 1/2" is far in excess of what is required for 20 tons - so probably no real need for that fancy stress analysis. :-)
    The Potter design uses one sheet of metal...the base is made from the metal that is cut out of the centre.
    He adds some expensive-looking metal feet - but I reckon hard plastic/rubber feet or just screw holes in the base are probably fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Willis View Post
    Sounds like you know a lot more about materials science than I do (heck, I'm just a tech author). :-)
    Aero engineer turned software engineer

I was fairly sure that Potter says in a video that he's using 2 cm plate, but I did a bit of digging and it looks like he is using 1/2" plate after all. That puts up the cost. He says in one video that the 1/2" is far in excess of what is required for 20 tons - so probably no real need for that fancy stress analysis. :-)
    Yeah, but I'd like to be certain of just how far it can go.

The Potter design uses one sheet of metal...the base is made from the metal that is cut out of the centre.
    He adds some expensive-looking metal feet - but I reckon hard plastic/rubber feet or just screw holes in the base are probably fine.
    Ah - I'd been going to use a larger base than that, but it probably doesn't need to be. Need to check bending moments on the base too; I was thinking of 10 or 13mm bolt holes only.

Did anyone ever make this happen? Just looking into getting one myself at the moment.

There's an EU source for Potter presses about to come online - not sure if he's quite ready yet.

Right, I've checked - if you're on Facebook, look for Benny Reinhold; he's making up licensed Potter presses. He should have the 50T available soon too...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hydraulic Press Pic.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	10193
    I have just had this made for me by a friend who is happy to make them for other silversmiths too. I had at least a 2 year search for a U.K. supplier for the right thing with no success. Mike has built a beautiful steel canal boat from scratch, so this little beast was no problem to him at all! He charged me £595 for it including the 20 ton jack fitted with a pressure gauge. The whole thing is welded together (not just screwed) from steel with 1" thick plattens. He will make them without a jack pressure gauge for £495, or without a jack at all if you would prefer. It's size is 46cm high x 26cm wide x 21 cm deep (add on a further 6cm to the total width for its bench fixing brackets). Mike's phone no is 07976 806078 or email marmit3759@aol.com. I am just happy to help him advertise this press because he doesn't know any silversmiths other than me!! Hope this helps.

If you look up Jon Black from here I know he has made some http://www.blackartscasting.co.uk/ and is selling in the UK