Thread: What…beep…Would…beep…You…beep…Do?

Default What…beep…Would…beep…You…beep…Do?

Have you ever been driven mad by an incessant beeping? It could have been anything: an alarm a timer or an open freezer door.
    In this case it was a CO monitor near our boiler and the sticker on it, long forgotten, said ‘discard the whole unit after five years, or in case of intermittent beeping.'

So I took it down and removed the screws and batteries for recycling, exposing this circuit board, to my eyes as beautiful and perfectly made as anything found in nature. The question is what to do with it. Could you cut it up for jewellery?
    What would you do? Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails c Circuit Board.jpg   c Circiut Board Reverse.jpg  

Time to start making some steampunk jewellery Dennis?
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

I love circuit boards (and Maplins) but never worked out how it would look good. My husband drives me mental by asking if I'll make jewellery with working LEDs in. Look forward to seeing any ideas Dennis

Dennis, you probably know this but I'll post it anyway in case other people don't.
    Don't try this with a smoke detector, some of them contain a small amount of radioactive material, probably don't want to go sawing through it.

Quote Originally Posted by trialuser View Post
    Dennis, you probably know this but I'll post it anyway in case other people don't.
    Don't try this with a smoke detector, some of them contain a small amount of radioactive material, probably don't want to go sawing through it.
    OMG no, but I've been tempted when I've burnt the toast. D.

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    I love circuit boards (and Maplins) but never worked out how it would look good. My husband drives me mental by asking if I'll make jewellery with working LEDs in. Look forward to seeing any ideas Dennis
    I once did a project brooch for an imaginary graduation party, shown (again) below. The belt clip held the battery box and the green LED lit up at will.

I also covered one of those magic disappearing coin cases with cut up circuit board to make it seem more magical. Pictures scanned in from prints.

As for jewellery I don't know anyone who would wear it. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kevin, BSC..jpg   Magic Coin Box.jpg  
    Last edited by Dennis; 15-04-2013 at 10:09 PM.

Gahh, why did I not spot this thread before now? I'm about to commit thread necrophilia ><
    An idea would be for cyber punk jewellery. Perhaps slice up the board into pendant sizes and incase them with clear resin. Make your own chain from copper, brass or even from old computer wires. Perhaps a long cable with a usb plug at the end for the clasp?
    Cyberpunk is most definatly comming back in a huge way, there's always buyers out there x
    Sian Williamson

The main thing that has put me off using some of the very pretty bits and pieces you get from dismantling old electrical items (something which drives Mrs Von Gaz potty at times) is the potential for poisoning- semiconductors are doped with gallium arsenide to enhance their properties (semiconductors are amazing substances btw!) and are included in resistors, lead, tin, mercury, cadium, flame retardants and pba's in plastics can all be found in circuit boards-
    Which is a pity really as there is lot's of potential for the use of scrap pcb's in jewellery, I just wouldn't like to wear it next to my skin though!

Plot for a Who Done It, or a gift for someone you don't like very much?

In that case Dennis, we're going to need a bigger circuit board

Having said that, surely if it's incased in resin it would be made safe?
    Sian Williamson