Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is gold "bubble" over?

Default Is gold "bubble" over?

The price of gold seems going down surely. I'm guessing if it's seasonal or it's the beginning of price declining.
    From jewelry making perspective, I think it may be beneficial making precious jewelry affordable to make and affordable to customers to buy. I may be wrong since I've never thought about precious metal stock market from jeweler's perspective.
    So, fellow jewelers, what do you think?
    Lana.

If it is, then that is a great indicator that the world economic depression is lifting.
    (because people are turning their money around and not putting it into gold)
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I'm not convinced it is as big a deal as the media would like to make it out to be. Look at the longer-term trends.

I'm minded of the reporting that's gone on over house prices - where the numbers are fudged so that rates of change are reported (and changes in the rates) rather than absolute change.

Gold is a hard one to predict, there are some many powerful economic and political forces pushing it about beyond the jewellery market. I had a chat with a few people about it at the Tucson show, including a Mexican gold mine owner. The consensus opinion was gold price flat or down through 2013. I've taken a bet that it will remain below $2000 anyway.

Personally I think this is good for the jewellery trade - commodity price is going down while consumers are used to paying high final prices.

Quote Originally Posted by alexyarm View Post
    Gold is a hard one to predict, there are some many powerful economic and political forces pushing it about beyond the jewellery market.
    I agree. It's impossible to predict even for insiders (if would, lots of people would be rich, not only a little selection ).
    As for jewelry making, it should be good in general if gold and other precious metals can down in price. But the industry, I believe, will turn slow following the new pricing because following the price immediately cut means loses on already purchase physical stock.

I think that price for 2013 will be lower for every same month of 2012, but not much. But I'm not an expert, just guessing.
    I'm trying to figure out how to buy silver, which pretty much follow the gold pattern with minimal loses on the long run. Or to buy just a little when needed.
    Lana.

I know that folk can purchase gold and get it delivered via bullionvault.com, but since I think you need to own a bar (not cheap) then I don't think it is any competition for Cookson.

I'm recommending you view the chart on their website so that you can see changes up to the minute, hour, day, week, month etc up to 20 years. The big trends and the small. If anyone has any great insight into where prices are going next, rsvp! Thanks

You can buy, hold and sell fractional amounts, but as soon as you withdraw a full bar you're liable for VAT on it.

+10% transport and insurance.

However, it's a good resource for keeping up with the numbers and watching the trends on different scales. I always seem to be able to get the timing almost right - I buy when it dips, but (so far) it has always gone down again - even further - afterwards

Both halves of that equation are preferable
    I tend to look at it as less of an investment and more as a raw material that I'll process into something more valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Both halves of that equation are preferable
    I tend to look at it as less of an investment and more as a raw material that I'll process into something more valuable.
    Sorry -- that's what I mean - I buy the raw materials - but doing this at the right time helps keep costs down, which is good when you're relatively new to this game and have a relatively high proportion of decent materials (usually wire) into silver-scrap-balls