Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching to platinum

Default Switching to platinum

Just starting to gear up to work with platinum, and I'm finding myself a bit ranty. Not helped by Barclaycard (hopefully only temporarily) blocking my Cooksons order cos it didn't fit their patterns.

Torch - ok, oxy-fuel to hit the temperatures. Oxycon arriving later this week to sort that (once I get the plumbing done on it).
    Can't use charcoal as a soldering block, it'll absorb carbon - but my synthetics won't take the temperature. So a new soldering board that'll do that... Probably the GRS one.
    Files - there's the possibility of contaminating it with gold or silver, so I'll need a new set. Oh, and as platinum is harder I'll probably need to go for something like Valtitan so they don't blunt too quickly.
    Saw blades - well, I've got Platinum King for working with steel anyway, so no problem.
    Soldering tweezers - for some reason, I have some tungsten ones lying unused.
    Soldering pick - nope, only got titanium so far. Not suitable.
    Polishes & mops - I've seen Dialux green suggested for platinum - handy, as I already use it on stainless.
    Oh, and shade 5 specs to protect the eyes during soldering.

Is there anything I've missed???

And that's before I start worrying about welding or soldering, buffing out solder because it's softer than the surrounding metal...
    I suppose I'll need to go over to carbide burrs for all my setting with it too - and I probably want a new scrap pot.
    Last edited by ps_bond; 08-04-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Seems like a pretty comprehensive (yet daunting) list! I'm certainly not brave enough to even attempt working with platinum yet but it is on my long list of aspirations for the future.

About Barclaycard, they did that to me last year when I was Christmas shopping. I got a strange phone call on my mobile saying that there had been unusual activity on my account and the little robot started asking me questions like "which one of these 3 dates is your birth date" and "which one of these is your most recent transaction". As soon as I'd answered the questions, I could use my card again. I hope your card issue is resolved quickly

It is sorted - but I wasn't very pleased that the number the automated system invited me to phone was nowhere to be found on Barclaycard's website, so I phoned them using one of the published numbers.
    I'm fairly cynical when it comes to security.

Good luck with the platinum project, peter. you'll be collecting lemel in earnest. Dennis.

I had a couple contact me today about helping them to make platinum wedding rings. I think I've decided against it.

Normal burrs work fine Peter.

That's good - I'd assumed that with everything I've read about the hardness I'd need to do everything with carbide.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I had a couple contact me today about helping them to make platinum wedding rings. I think I've decided against it.
    It seems like a lot needs changing to deal with it. I've got a few projects in mind, so I think I can justify the hit.

What am I talking about - it's tools, of course I can justify it, however feebly.

Hi Peter...If I'm feeling mischievous or cross when these people phone me and then ask me to confirm who I am to them, I ask them to identify themselves first. I don't think one organisation has yet done it. There is either a robotic repetition of the set script or they cite date protection when I ask for say..last four figures in the account number. they just don't get why I'm refusing to give my name, dob or account number etc to a total stranger who happened to phone me. Clearly most people do give the info.....
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

It's actually quite soft to set with, just..different. you'll want to drill slow as It's bit "sticky" & also it won't spread like other metals.