Thread: Commission charges

Default Commission charges

I've been approached by an art gallery who would like to take some of my jewellery on a commission basis.

I'm out of touch with commission rates so I'd be really grateful for some ideas as to going rates.

Thanks in advance. Anna.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

can't help you with the figures Anna, but wanted to say that can fully agree with the art gallery wanting to have some of your amazing work.

Most of the ones I've heard from want 30 - 40% plus VAT

The gallery I spoke to today charges 40% + VAT. I think it varies according to locale (i.e. they're higher in London), but around 50% seems more or less the norm from what I've seen.

Thanks for the replies, a big help as I'd no idea of current rates.

40-55%...................I think 40-50% is generally the going rate, some online galleries are much less...........

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    40-55%...................I think 40-50% is generally the going rate, some online galleries are much less...........
    Thanks for that. I must confess to having a bit of an ulterior motive in accepting their offer. My eldest son's girlfriend is a talented young artist and I'd like to ask the gallery for help/advice on getting her work promoted.
    Last edited by Anna Wales; 12-04-2013 at 03:28 PM.

I've found that some galleries have a lower commission rate for jewellery because there is a higher turnover - small galleries at 30%. The general commission charged seems to be around 50 - 65% in the north of England, but some large galleries charge 100% and double the price of your items. I just go with the ones that I like and who treat me well.

Seems like 40% of retail price is normal for sale or return. Any more than that you may as well insist on them buying wholesale as you won't be making much otherwise and not gain anything from having the money upfront... I have managed to negotiate 30 and 35% before, but doesn't seem common. Online should be less as they don't have the overheads of a bricks and mortar shop and all the costs that brings with it.

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com