Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B.o.g.o.f.

Default B.o.g.o.f.

Not really a two for one offer, but I thought I’d have one more go at making a feather from wire, this time using V-shapes rather than so many single straight pieces.

Was it better? Not really. The solder did not connect all the gaps at the first attempt and the resulting segments no longer matched up well. But once they were all connected, the spine sweated on without difficulty and there was no need for a back plate, making it an altogether lighter broach.

In the spirit of costume jewellery, I added some 3mm tube set artificial stones from AE Ward. You could no doubt get them cheaper elsewhere, but I do enjoy the visit, because they know me and they are equally friendly when I only buy a few cheap items. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f Feather Brooch First Version.jpg   f Feather Brooch Second Version.jpg   f Second Version Reverse.jpg  

Ooh, feathers - I love them!
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

Still looks really good though.

I'm tempted to make a feather myself now, using gravers; I wonder if there's any mileage in trying to get other members to have a go too? As many different techniques as we can?

lovely Dennis - soldering is my nightmare atm so that is really impressive.

Sonia
    x

Not going to have a go at this myself, but here's another technique: cuttlefish casting. Surprisingly effective!

I still need to take a picture of the bracelet I made with a variety of roll-printed textures, including a feather (possibly my favourite of the lot ).

That's quite a skilled cuttle fish job. I'd really like it if others had a go. Recently I saw one made by extruding filaments of silver clay, like pasta. Dennis.

I still like the first one best. Not a massive fan of bling for the sake of it.

But you're just the person to have a go yourself, Carole. How about pierced and coloured aluminium?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    But you're just the person to have a go yourself, Carole. How about pierced and coloured aluminium?
    No time for playing Dennis.

I really like the first feather Dennis! Lovely stuff.

Peter, great idea about using gravers. I am very tempted to give it a go. ( will probably do it when I have finished this pair of guns I am working on. Another month to go...)