Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paris

Omg, Jason it is isn't it, I'm obsessed with cakes and bakeries (my dad's a baker and I grew up living above our shop and I worked a couple of years as a wedding cake maker), and France knows how to do pastry better than anyone.

Back in 1987/1988 we lived on the outskirts of Paris for a whole year - a place called La Celle St Cloud. Just the other side of Versailles, where we passed the palace on most days.

I loved it but I was glad to get home. In general I found the Parisiennes to be rude and unfriendly but, I suppose, that's a bit like most major cities.

The atmosphere though, that was incredible. We were there for Keith's work and so I had most days to myself. Even though I had a little one, we went a week after Tom's first birthday, I travelled the length and breadth of the metro.

Now I'm lost in the realms of nostalgia and can't remember the initial question, so I'll have to use this:

Di x

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohn View Post
    Charlotte I could live on pain au chocolat, croissants, brioche, tarte tatin and anything else like it. LOL

I'm a pastry freak, fortunately I can eat as much as I like and it doesn't affect my waistline. *runs for cover from dieting women*
    I need a *smack* emote and a *hits on the head with a hammer* emote
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Oh my you guys n gals make Paris sound wonderful -
    I went once but found it was full of French people
    The Italians seem to prefer me to the French...go figure
    Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Quote Originally Posted by MuranoSilver View Post
    Oh my you guys n gals make Paris sound wonderful -
    I went once but found it was full of French people
    The Italians seem to prefer me to the French...go figure
    Nic x
    I don't think the French are keen on people (er women) who dare to think they're not the bees knees. Of course, this might just be the old French/English disharmony thing...
    Di x

It's a state of mind. I think French women are brought up to think they are wonderful. And there's something wonderful about that. Women could certainly do with a boost. But I can't be getting on with people who can't see their own faults. It's like they lack a sense of humour.

I went to Paris while i was doing A level French and everyone kept speaking English to me Not very helpful! Lol!

There are some lovely sights though. If you love Impressionists work (like me), the Musee D'Orsay is a must!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohn View Post
    Charlotte I could live on pain au chocolat, croissants, brioche, tarte tatin and anything else like it. LOL

I'm a pastry freak, fortunately I can eat as much as I like and it doesn't affect my waistline. *runs for cover from dieting women*

One of my fave french things ever is "Calissons", little diamond shaped almond treats from Aix in provence, we usually buy them from bienmanger but the shipping is astronomical, it is always better when Philippe's (OH) uncle Jean-Mark comes over from France and brings them with them. *dreams of gorging on calissons"

I love cooking too, always in the kitchen and am quite accomplished at baking and alsorts, Philippe's mum is a coeliac so I have had to teach myself how to make coeliac pastry and wheat and gluten free meals and my mum is diabetic, so when it comes to entertaining I can cater for anyone.

Don't you just love the smell of freshly baked bread and cakes. If you could bottle that smell I would wear it. LOL

PS I want to see pics of the wedding cake when you tie the knot, my younger brother was married last month and they had a castle cake and it was incredible.
    We totally have the same taste... although saying that there aren't many things in the pastry world that I don't get on with Chocolate brioche (sorry Su!) and pan aux chocolat are my faves. I would love to try some calissons, almonds are the best nuts!

I've had to curb the baking a little since moving to Newcastle as I'm not lucky like you with the waistline and have been on a diet for a long time. When I was younger I could bake anything and dad would let me sell it in the shop.

I love the smell of baking, I miss waking up to it and nipping down to the shop in the morning for so fresh its still hot and squashy bread THE best smell (and probably taste) is fresh fruit loaf... very underrated for some reason!

I've tried not to stress dad out about our wedding cake, as you can imagine its very important to him and if he wasn't happy with it he could end up not enjoying himself on the day... so I've opted for cupcakes, this means we can all get involved (me, dad and my sisters) and just have fun and go completely over the top. So I think it'll look cool and taste fab but I have no idea how it will turn out visually. We'll see, I'm going ebay crazy looking for cases, recipes and decorations.

I found the people in France a little hostile, but if they decide they like you then they are lovely... just don't argue with a French person, they LOVE to argue

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post

I've tried not to stress dad out about our wedding cake, as you can imagine its very important to him and if he wasn't happy with it he could end up not enjoying himself on the day... so I've opted for cupcakes, this means we can all get involved (me, dad and my sisters) and just have fun and go completely over the top. So I think it'll look cool and taste fab but I have no idea how it will turn out visually. We'll see, I'm going ebay crazy looking for cases, recipes and decorations.

We shall have to swap wedding pics I'd like to see your cupcakes (!)
    Not long now is it!! Eeek!

I know! How much have you got left to do? I have cake, music and vows... I think thats it, still scary, we're going to be 'Mrs'! I've got a friend who will be the photographer so I'll make an album on here or something, can't wait to see yours!