Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hep with making a sterling silver circle? (basic)

Default hep with making a sterling silver circle? (basic)

Hi,

I'm jst starting out with jewelry making and was wondering if anyone can tell me how to make the attached sterling silver pendant?

I've tried making it with 8g fine silver wire and I've just flattened the "flat part of the pendant" with a chasing hammer and that seems to work but it leaves marks and its not a smooth rounded finish like the one in the photo.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails circle pendant.JPG  

hard to tell from the photo, but that looks like it's hollow, bit how they make creole earrings.

I'd say that it's probably been carved from wax and cast. You could probably make the shape from Milliput or Fimo and either cast it yourself using Delft Clay, or send it off to a caster.

Quote Originally Posted by 4ngi3 View Post

I've tried making it with 8g fine silver wire and I've just flattened the "flat part of the pendant" with a chasing hammer and that seems to work but it leaves marks and its not a smooth rounded finish)
    Have you tried using a buff stick with different grades of wet and dry on the piece until the hammer marks are gone and then polish?

All sorts of methods spring to mind, all requiring advanced techniques, but at its most basic just start with a thick wire ring and reduce it where needed with files and abrasive papers until the shape is right.

Make a drawing to compare it with and check as you go. Dennis.

Thank you all for your replies, didn't think I was going to get one but very happy everyone's so helpful

The one I would like to make would be solid sterling silver. I'm thinking to go with the wire method. I'll try the files and abrasive papers to get the shape smooth.

Thanks again! I'll be back with more questions I'm sure since you've all been so helpful

Default Follow-on question

Actually, can i just add that the pendant that I made, I have been using the AdvantEdge Silicone Polishers on my dremel. first I use the black, blue then pink. But I don't seem to be able to get a mirror shine like the photo in my original post. Should I be using something else? Maybe the 3M radials instead/aswell?

Thanks. I should have asked this question to begin with

If the grading is similar to the ones I'm familiar with, pink isn't *all* that bright a polish. I'd normally follow on with a rouge on a swansdown buff or the peach & green radial wheels (5u & 1u, but I can't remember which is which offhand).

Firstly I would make the shape by just piercing it from sheet, using a pair of dividers I would draw the outer circle, then make the dividers smaller and mark the inner off centre circle, pierce out the inner circle first and file it true, then pierce out the outer circle and then file the edges to shape. I consider my labour time worth more than the cost of the silver sheet, as for polishing, use a soft mop and some rouge to achieve the mirror shine silicone polishers will never achieve a totally mirror finish. I only use mops, calico with Tripoli and swansdown with rouge for my polishing.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I consider my labour time worth more than the cost of the silver sheet, James
    That raises an interesting point James. If you have free time and not much cash, the reverse is true. It only remains to work out how much waste each approach would entail: Filings versus offcuts. Dennis.