Thread: Sealing a patina?

Default Sealing a patina?

Hi,

I've been experimenting with liver of sulpher on copper and I keep finding that when I try to seal it with renaissance wax it flakes off leaving copper visible which isn't what I really want.

Any ideas on how I can stop this or alternative sealers? I've also tried midas lacquer but that tends to dry quite visibly even if I blot it.

I'd appreciate any help on this.

Thanks

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I use Protectaclear.. love it. Paint it on - lasts really well. http://everbritecoatings.co.uk/small...ting-151-p.asp

Jade Oil is what I've been advised and work well with me. i bought from Peter Dyson.

Coco, there are two things to consider here: the flaking and the sealing.

1. When a patina is developed rapidly it also detaches in flakes. So keep your solution cold and diluted, to delay the darkening and rinse only in cold water. This will also allow you to see some in between coluors which you might prefer.

The ultimate slowing down can be arranged by hanging the piece from threads in the fumes above the solution in a closed box and inspecting from time to time.
    Whatever method you use make sure that your metal is well de-greased with detergent and made semi matte perhaps with pumice or scouring powder to give a key to the patina.

2. You will have noticed that the result looks best when wet and waxing in effect, gives your piece a wet look. So anything which does this will do.

Don't forget that you can also colour copper simply by applying a torch selectively, as on my leaf below, but in that case applying wax will hide the colours. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cl Copper Leaf Brooch 2.jpg  

Thanks everybody! Dennis your leaf is gorgeous!

I'd heard about protectaclear but haven't tried it yet - think I will. Also that jade oil which I'd never heard of.

New options - love 'em!

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    I use Protectaclear.. love it. Paint it on - lasts really well. http://everbritecoatings.co.uk/small...ting-151-p.asp
    Wallace, do you paint it on and buff it or just leave it as it is?

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Wallace, do you paint it on and buff it or just leave it as it is?
    Hi Carole, I do both. But will only buff it with a clean duster cloth, not a polishing buff.

So I tried cold los today, and I don 't want to jinx anything but it's made such a difference in terms of the patina flaking off

Anyone tried Rustoleum? It looks really good but I can't find any ingredients. Will it be safe against skin if it's dry though?

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGResourceCenter.asp?sn=msd

The MSDS will tell you pretty much anything you need about it

best wishes

Dave