Thread: Hia from costa del Manchester

Default Hia from costa del Manchester

A quick introduction,

Im Joe,from just outside Manchester UK. Ive been playing with jewellery for a while now.I use cad and have a small mill I made myself to produce waxes. Im intrested in casting my own pieces but to date have not explored this to fruition!
    Great forum by the way

Cheers Joe

Hi Joe and welcome!

Lorraine

Welcome joseph 1.

Tell us more about your waxes and your method of casting. I did centrifugal casting long ago as a student, but the machine was not sunk into a well and a load of molten gold went flying out of an open window. After that I went back to a machine, which I think was called Solbrig, that pressed a pad of wet asbestos onto the top of the casting ring.

Kind regards, Dennis.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0347.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	2839Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0349.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	2840

This is one of my attemps at making a wax its meant to be a sun flower,still needs a bit of modificaton .I want to try my hand at vacuum casting,dont really fancy my metal flying off out of the window!!

They are looking good. It's in the nature of wax carving that you can always find something more to do. It drives me mad actually.

Here is a catalogue for dental technicians which has a variety of dental casting waxes you might find interesting. http://www.chaperlin.co.uk/catalogue/ Technicians drip or weld their wax with a wooden handled wax knife, heated over a Bunsen. Then they carve it, flame it smooth and finally polish it with cotton wool dipped in hot water. Jewellers wax is more resinous and can't be easily used in this way.

I find the online catalogue distracting to browse, so I have persuaded them to send me a printed copy. Kind regards, Dennis

Hi Joe, from not very far from Manchester in the Peak District!
    Dragonfly (Lynne)

http://www.thedragonflycompany.com

for all things chain maille - supplies, chain maille kits and tuition

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crispy and taste good with ketchup!