Thread: Why I melt it.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs down Why I melt it.

I made it a while ago, put it aside, then today finally added it in my "melting box". And here are the reasons why I'm not happy with it:

1. I decided to turn my learning silver parts into finished pieces. Wrong. Clueless design leads to clueless piece unless you are lucky to come out with something interesting.

2. Scratches! Lost of them.

3. Solder shows up on the wrong side, not good job.

4. Shaping. Lousy, should do better, more natural looking leaf.

5. The wire on the middle should be thicker and well shaped, bail should be thicker as well, more volume needed. The way how I shaped it su... is so amateur.

6. The whole composition is questionable.

7. All together this piece screams: I'm novice!

What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1485.jpg   DSCN1476.jpg   DSCN1490.jpg   DSCN1494.jpg  
    Lana.

Blimey, its not *that* bad! I know people who would happily wear that! If you do scrap it, make sure there are no solder bits in the scrap pot.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    If you do scrap it, make sure there are no solder bits in the scrap pot.
    that's the other problem I don't know how to deal with yet. Perhaps, I collect silver for melting without solder, and prepare silver with solder to send for refinery. Separating solder from silver does not look like an easy task.
    Thanks.
    Lana.

I think if you disolve soldered bits in nitric acid you can recover the silver that way.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    I think if you disolve soldered bits in nitric acid you can recover the silver that way.
    You can Medusa, silver solids are retained in the fluid, however, I'm not sure where or how much makes it a viable option :-)

Silver dissolves in nitric acid to form silver nitrate; silver nitrate reacts with sodium chloride to form (insoluble in water) silver chloride, which precipitates out. Silver chloride when heated breaks down to chlorine + silver.

Alternatively, once you have silver chloride you can mix it with cream of tartar (IIRC!) and rub it onto copper to leave a very thin plating of silver on it.