Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for an excellent professional stone setter

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBouillon View Post
    Beautiful work. Ooooh, I want some pieces for myself.
    When I read his blah-blah-blah about "if you want to read more about jewelry", I found it kind of funny, ok, the guy has sense of humor. But when I found the same blah-blah-blah under warranty category, it's not customer friendly, imo. In this case I prefer to buy from trusted retailer who gives me free cleaning, free fixing during certain period of time, free resizing.
    I suspect that he just hasn't ever got around to finishing his site. The craftsmanship is amazing.

ok I feel a little shown up now. That guy is amazing! And your website is allowed to be a bit cheeky when you're that good.

So I don't need anything that flash, just needs to be neat and of a professional standard. No microscopes, just needs to look nice. I have a few things that need setting - mostly rings and a pair of earrings all 750 gold - diamonds to be set are between 1.5 and 2.5mm flush set and one ring needs some pave in the ring shank. I had a cheap guy in Berlin who made a mess of some pave and the other recommended setters here in Germany that I have contacted cost the earth. Plus VAT.

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

How much were you thinking of paying per stone?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by glowpear View Post
    ok I feel a little shown up now. That guy is amazing! And your website is allowed to be a bit cheeky when you're that good.

So I don't need anything that flash, just needs to be neat and of a professional standard. No microscopes, just needs to look nice. I have a few things that need setting - mostly rings and a pair of earrings all 750 gold - diamonds to be set are between 1.5 and 2.5mm flush set and one ring needs some pave in the ring shank. I had a cheap guy in Berlin who made a mess of some pave and the other recommended setters here in Germany that I have contacted cost the earth. Plus VAT.

Thanks so much for your suggestions.
    Hhhmmm...............generally, methinks you get what you pay for........continuimg along the vein of cheeky.......what are you paying now for the setting you're not so happy with?? I am NOT a setter, bw!!

I just got quoted €50 per hour for someone to scrape snow of the pathway, wonder how many years apprenticeship he did to learn that skill

Sent you PM with my best offer for a few jobs to help you out, after which you`ll have better knowledge as to what you need to budget for in the future.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 26-03-2013 at 06:11 AM.

Thats a lot just for snow shovelling, my daughter works for the Donkey Sanctuary and spends a lot of her time shovelling (not snow I hasten to add) for just above the minimum wage her, she actually gets £9 ish an hour)

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Thats a lot just for snow shovelling, my daughter works for the Donkey Sanctuary and spends a lot of her time shovelling (not snow I hasten to add) for just above the minimum wage her, she actually gets £9 ish an hour)
    Unfortunately the self employed need to make that sort of money (at least in these parts).

I think you get what you pay for, except in Germany where you just pay and then you pay some more. It's true though that the quality is generally extremely high - way higher than I really need. I am just an enthusiastic amateur, so the metal work wouldn't live up to anything fancy. On the other hand I am doing "commissions" for friends and I don't want to hand over a piece with wonky stones or stones that fall out after two weeks.

I used a local setter here in Hamburg for a job that only had 2 stones in it and he charged me €22 per stone plus VAT. Another chap I called, recommended by a goldsmith friend of mine, wanted €18 per stone and a "job fee" of €30 per job as I am not a professional. All plus VAT. I forget the exact dimensions but I think 3mm diamonds flush set in 18K gold would sound about right.

The work I have now requires more stones so these sorts of prices are just untenable given the already astronomical price of gold. Chris - I will get back to you shortly, just dealing with a wriggly one year old with flu so not getting much time on the computer at the moment! Thanks again everyone.

Those prices are a joke..

Presumably they get the prices they ask? They're, shall we say, quite high?