Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you bend your rings?

I'm fairly sure I have a pair of the ring bending pliers which I don't use, (infact, they've only been used 2-3 times, since I was then taught (and am still trying perfect!!) to use the half rounds (which I do prefer)!!
    Will check tomorrow..............

Dennis, where can I buy a ring bending tool? I have ring pliers, but don't have the hand strength to cope with heavier stock. I'm UK based.

Sorry the only one I can find is here at Cooksons, and it's about twice the price I paid, but about ten years ago:
    http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...query=997+3000. Don't forget it needs a leather strap to protect the outer surface of the ring.

I have also seen a horizontal, bench mounted version with a stepped barrel and a lever, which might be less pricy. Dennis.

Those are the ring bending pliers that I have and don't use, (sorry, I had said I'd check in March and then forgot!!). They'd happily go to a new home for £100 + postage.....as I previously said, I've only used them less than a handful of times.
    Please PM me if you're interested.

Tabby

I have a set of those too; apart from being a bit iffy at bending short ends, they're brilliant to use IMO. The horizontal shank bender Dennis describes is something I'd like to add to my collection - if I can find one that isn't *too* extortionate (and they do do short ends too).

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I have a set of those too; apart from being a bit iffy at bending short ends.
    Well you need between 50 and 60mm of wire for a ring, and provided you bend both ends first and the centre last, they will do it with ease. Dennis.

The distance between the centre fulcrum and the hardened steel contacts on mine means that you can't bend tight radii with it at the ends. Looks the same as the Cooksons, but the devil may be in the detail.

on eBay there are some plier that to me looking the same Dennis show in pic at less than half of the price mentioned on here.
    worth have a look...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300616958053
    Last edited by ps_bond; 19-04-2013 at 02:54 PM.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by 2753tony View Post
    on eBay there are some plier that to me looking the same Dennis show in pic at less than half of the price mentioned on here.
    worth have a look...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300616958053
    With Taxes of £7.73 and post office handling fee of £8.00 that will be about £54.89 (At the moment, so still comes under Cookies Costs.) Bargain!

I use mine all the time. Like Dennis says, bend the ends first and then work the rest of the metal, ahem, around it!

How to work the taxes..... http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-im...x-calculation/
    Last edited by Wallace; 19-04-2013 at 05:08 PM.

However, the ones from Cookies are Swiss made, and you can be pretty sure the ebay version are made in Pakistan, so will be inferior in terms of materials and engineering.

You pays your money etc...